Truck Accident Scene: What To Do
Save and use: 7 important steps to take after a truck crash in Michigan
People frequently say they regret not being better prepared for what to do at their truck accident scene in Michigan. This outline briefly reviews the most important steps recommended by our lawyers.
To speak with a truck attorney now, call us at (248) 353-7575, or fill out our contact form for a free lawyer consultation. The call and the advice are free.
1. Stay calm and assist injured passengers.
Survey the truck accident scene for injuries. Immediately call an ambulance for anyone who is injured. Do not move injured passengers unless it’s necessary to avoid further injury.
2. Call the police.
Even if the truck accident appears to be minor, it’s extremely important to call the police immediately in order to file a police report.
3. Document ALL injuries.
Very serious injuries are often not experienced immediately after the truck accident. Make a detailed list of all injuries and pain you and other passengers are experiencing, even if it seems to be minor at the time.
4. Write down as much information as possible.
It’s important to document as much information as possible at the truck accident scene, because the driver who caused the accident will often change his or her story along the way. Errors may also appear in the police report. Documentation by a truck accident victim can be instrumental in correcting mistakes. If you can, make note of the following information:
- All injuries that you or your passenger(s) experienced from the truck accident.
- The exact location where the truck accident occurred.
- The time, weather conditions and direction other vehicles were traveling at the time of the crash.
- A description of how the truck accident occurred.
- License plate numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Nature of any damage to vehicles that occurred as a result of the accident.
- Statements by other drivers admitting responsibility for the truck accident.
- Statements by other drivers or passengers indicating they were not injured as a result of the accident.
- Name, badge number and phone number of all police officers who arrive at the truck accident scene.
- Name, address, phone number, driver’s license number and insurance information of all other drivers involved in the accident.
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of all witnesses who observed the truck accident and/or arrived at the accident scene.
- Your observations as to whether any drugs or alcohol contributed to the accident.
5. Photograph the scene.
We recommend you take pictures of the truck accident scene in Michigan, if you can do so safely. Remember, most good truck accident law firms also have private investigators that can be sent to the accident scene as well. If possible, take photos from multiple angles and locations. Be sure to photograph:
- Vehicle damage.
- Injured drivers/passengers.
- Skid marks on the roadway next to a measuring stick, shoe or other object so that the size of the marks can be estimated.
- The roadway or intersection where the accident occurred.
6. Cooperate with police, but speak with an attorney before accepting responsibility.
At the truck accident scene avoid speaking with anyone, other than police, about your truck accident. Do not accept responsibility for the accident and do not blame others.
7. Do not leave the scene of the accident.
Unless you are being transported to the emergency room by ambulance, please remain at the truck accident scene until all other drivers and police have left.
Get help from a Michigan truck accident lawyer today
For free truck accident advice today, call us at (248) 353-7575 for fill out our contact form for a free lawyer consultation. There is no fee or obligation, and we’re here to answer all of your questions.
Remember, it’s best to contact an attorney before you speak with your insurance company or the person who caused the truck accident, because if you sign the wrong documents, you may unknowingly relinquish your rights or settle for less compensation than you’re entitled.
View our settlement amounts from our truck accident cases we have settled and learn about our 100 percent client satisfaction guarantee.