Our attorneys share the list of Kent County’s Top 10 most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2021 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2021, more than a third (31.3%) of all fatal motor vehicle accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections.
Our list of most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2021 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify these intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Kent County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2021?
Here are the most dangerous intersections in Kent County in 2021:
- US 131 @ WEALTHY ST, Grand Rapids, Total Crashes 134, Injuries 26
- FRANKLIN ST SW @ US 131, Grand Rapids, Total Crashes 75, Injuries 10
- BURTON ST SW @ US 131, Grand Rapids, Total Crashes 65, Injuries 13
- 28TH ST SE @ KALAMAZOO AVE SE, Grand Rapids, Total Crashes 63, Injuries 20
- 54TH ST SW @ US 131, Wyoming, Total Crashes 61, Injuries 16
- 28TH ST SW @ US 131, Wyoming, Total Crashes 59, Injuries 16
- 28TH ST SE @ S DIVISION AVE, Grand Rapids, Total Crashes 58, Injuries 17
- 28TH ST SE @ BRETON RD SE, Grand Rapids, Total Crashes 57, Injuries 15
- 44TH ST SE @ EASTERN AVE SE, Kentwood, Total Crashes 53, Injuries 21
- 28TH ST SE @ BROADMOOR AVE SE, Grand Rapids, Total Crashes 52, Injuries 10
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (NOTE: The list of most dangerous intersections is the latest data available from 2021 for total crashes at intersections in Michigan. “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 200 feet of an intersection including near freeways (and their subsequent on-ramps off-ramps and service streets), divided highways and rural roads.)
More Information On Kent County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: US 131 @ WEALTHY ST, Grand Rapids
This busy Grand Rapids intersection tops the list of Kent County’s Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersection for the sixth straight year.
Total crashes were 134 in 2021 which was up from 114 in 2020 and 123 in 2019. Similarly, there were 26 crash-related injuries in 2021, which increased from 23 in 2020 and 18 in 2019.
No. 3: BURTON ST SW @ US 131, Grand Rapids
There is a good reason why this intersection dropped from #2 in 2020 to #3 in 2021: It saw fewer crashes and injuries in 2021.
In fact, total crashes for 2021 were 65, which was lower than 2020’s 89 crashes and 2019’s 75 crashes. Similarly, injuries in 2021 were 13 whereas injuries were 23 in 2020 and 14 in 2019.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident, contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Injured in a car accident at one of Kent County’s Most Dangerous Intersections? Contact a Michigan Auto Law attorney first a free consultation
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in a car accident at one of Kent County’s Most Dangerous Intersections and you have questions about your legal rights to pain and suffering compensation, economic damages and auto No-Fault insurance benefits, you can speak to one of our experienced Grand Rapids car accident lawyers at (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or chat feature on our website.