Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Kalamazoo County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2020 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of Kalamazoo County’s most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2019, 31% of all fatal traffic accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2019 Quick Facts”)
With a majority of the workforce working remotely due to COVID-19 and, thus, not commuting to and from work for much of the year, overall crashes in 2020 in Michigan were down 21.9% from 2019 and the lowest level since at least 2010, according to preliminary data from the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center.
Our list of Kalamazoo County’s most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2020 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify Kalamazoo County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Kalamazoo County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2020?
- DRAKE RD @ MAIN ST, Kalamazoo, 42 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- GULL RD @ SPRINKLE RD, Comstock Twp, 40 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- DRAKE RD @ STADIUM DR, Kalamazoo, 37 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- PARK ST @ KALAMAZOO AVE, Kalamazoo, 33 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- DRAKE RD @ K L AVE, Kalamazoo, 33 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- SPRINKLE RD @ CORK ST, Kalamazoo, 33 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- WESTNEDGE AVE @ KILGORE RD, Kalamazoo, 32 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- GULL RD @ RIVERVIEW DR, Kalamazoo, 30 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- HOWARD ST @ STADIUM DR, Kalamazoo, 26 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- ROMENCE PKWY @ WESTNEDGE AVE, Portage, 26 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Kalamazoo County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: Drake Road and Main Street, Kalamazoo
Just west of downtown Kalamazoo and Western Michigan University is the top spot once again for the most dangerous intersection in Kalamazoo County. With many intersections seeing an overall decrease in crashes in 2020 due to the pandemic, it is concerning to see this area having an increase, going from 39 crashes in 2019 to 42 crashes in 2020. Even more troubling is the number of injuries also going up, from 7 injuries in 2019 to 9 injuries in 2020. As one of the main roads leading into downtown and the WMU campus for people exiting US 131, use caution in this area.
No. 2: Gull Road and Sprinkle Road, Comstock Township
The number two spot in Kalamazoo County is located on a busy section of Gull Road in Comstock Township. Just like the intersection above, this one also had an increase from year to year, with 40 total crashes in 2020 compared to 36 crashes in 2019. Luckily this intersection did have a slight decrease in injuries, but local drivers should continue to drive carefully.
Our personal injury lawyers urge drivers to use caution in these areas as traffic volumes increase throughout 2021.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at one of Kalamazoo County’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the area – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (866) 886-9668 for a free consultation with one of our experienced Kalamazoo car accident lawyers. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or you can use the chat feature on our website.