Have you been injured? you may have a case. GET A FREE CONSULTATION

What insurance covers my car if it was in the garage when it was damaged or stolen?

January 29, 2015 by Steven M. Gursten

This week, I wrote about PLPD insurance, clarifying what it covers – and what it doesn’t. “PLPD,” which means “Personal Liability and Property Damage,” provides nothing more than No Fault coverage and liability and property damage at minimal policy limits.

I received a follow-up question on PLPD relating to car damage and theft that I would like to address today.

Q. What insurance covers my car if it was in the garage when it was damaged or stolen?

A. Comprehensive coverage pays for a stolen car. This is an optional add- on that you must purchase.

Comprehensive coverage pays to repair car or truck damage caused by caused by something other than a collision, such as fire, theft, vandalism, hail or flooding. It also pays for damage caused by hitting an animal, like a deer.

The coverages that would not apply are homeowner’s insurance and PLPD. Here’s why:

Most homeowners insurance policies don’t cover cars unless the house burns down and destroys the car. In other words, there needs to be some other nexus to the house.

While people use the term PLPD a lot, very few truly understand what it means. When I hear PLPD, as a lawyer, I think of PLPD as the insurance that provides only the bare minimum of insurance coverage required by law. PLPD does not include collision, comprehensive, uninsured motorist, underinsured motorist or mini tort coverage.

[Community Guidelines]

Related Posts
Is cure auto insurance good in Michigan?
Is Cure Auto Insurance Good In Michigan?
February 15, 2024
Car insurance company profits skyrocket as drivers pay more for less coverage
Car Insurance Company Profits Skyrocket As Drivers Pay More For Less Coverage
January 25, 2024
Michigan Car Insurance Cancellation Laws
Michigan Car Insurance Cancellation Laws Explained
January 2, 2024