Kelsey Raffaele, 17, of Sault Ste. Marie, tragically died in a cell phone-related automobile crash in 2010. The Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship has been created in her honor to inspire change in teens who drive distracted and help prevent car accidents.
Some startling facts from NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and Michigan Traffic Crash Facts:
- In 2017, 1,830 young drivers between the ages of 15 and 20 died in motor vehicle crashes across the U.S.
- 4,361 young drivers (between 15 and 20 years of age) were involved in fatal car crashes in 2017.
- There was a total of 4,750 fatalities from car crashes involving young drivers in 2017.
- Texting while driving increases your risk of crashing by 23 times.
- Car accidents are the No. 1 killer of drivers between the ages of 15-20.
Using a cell phone and/or texting
Eating and drinking
Reading, including maps
Using a cell phone and/or texting
Changing the radio station
Using a PDA or navigation system
Watching a video
2021 KELSEY’S LAW DISTRACTED DRIVING AWARENESS SCHOLARSHIP OVERVIEW
In April, $5,000 worth of scholarships will be awarded to Michigan students. Applicants are asked to submit a persuasive message that shows how you would convince young drivers to reduce distractions while driving.
Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship finalists will be notified by April 12th, 2021 and winners will be announced sometime during April, 2021.
Messages may be in the form of a video, graphic or Tweet that resonates with teens and influences their driving behavior.
Entries will be judged and critiqued on the following factors:
- Ability to persuade others, especially teen drivers, to stop texting while driving.
- Ability to grab the attention of your friends, peers and family.
- A clear and understandable message.
- Demonstration of your personal creativity and ingenuity.
Types of Admissions Permitted
(30 Seconds max)
(PNG files only)
(110 characters or less)
Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Scholarship Award Amounts
- Overall Best Submission: $2,000
- Best Video Submission: $1,500
- Best Graphic Submission: $1,000
- Best Tweet Submission: $500
*Limit one type of submission per student.
Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship awards will be applied toward tuition at any university, college or technical school in the U.S. for higher education. Funds will be sent directly to the school within one year of the scholarship deadline.
Who may apply:
- Open to 11th and 12th grade students (Class of 2021 and 2022) attending any public or private Michigan high school (finalists will be required to provide proof of enrollment with a student I.D. or transcript).
- Applicant must be a Michigan resident with a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- If under the age of 18 by April 15, 2021, a parental consent form must be signed by a parent or guardian if you are selected as a finalist.
Deadline to apply online: March 31, 2021.
Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship winners will be announced in April, 2021 to coincide with National Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
Complete the online form below including all required fields. Once you submit your information an automatic receipt message will be sent to your email address.
Once you click Submit, an automatic receipt message will be sent to your email address.