Have you been injured? you may have a case.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Buying Car Insurance

Optional Car Insurance Coverage in Michigan

Michigan No-Fault Law requires drivers to carry No-Fault insurance. Here’s a list of the four types of car insurance you’re required to have by law. But there are also several other optional coverages you can purchase to protect yourself under various circumstances.

Take a look at the list below:

  1. Collision Coverage: Broad, Standard or Limited. Read more about collision coverage here.
  2. Comprehensive Coverage: Covers theft, fire, glass damage unrelated to a collision, etc.
  3. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM) covers you in the event you’re in a crash with a driver who does not have No-Fault insurance or has an inadequate policy. Here’s more information about UM and UIM.
  4. Mini tort Coverage (also called Limited Property Damage): This covers up to the first $1,000 of damage to a motor vehicle not otherwise covered by insurance. Take a look at our FAQs about Michigan mini tort.
  5. Gap Coverage: Covers difference in value between what a car is worth and what is owed on it.
  6. Accidental Death Coverage: This is essentially life insurance in the event you or a passenger is killed in an auto accident.


Michigan has a new auto No-Fault law. Click Here to learn more.