Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County based on Michigan State Police car accident report data for 2019 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
Interchanges are dangerous. In 2018, 28.2% of all fatal car accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2018 Quick Facts”)
But these Traverse City and Grand Traverse County interchanges are even more dangerous.
Our list of the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County reflects the latest car accident report data available from 2019 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported traffic accidents. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us to provide the car accident report data that we use to identify the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County. The underlying car accident report data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County in 2019
- SOUTH AIRPORT RD @ US 31, Garfield Twp, 62 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- SOUTH AIRPORT RD @ N GARFIELD RD, Garfield Twp, 37 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- BARLOW ST @ LA FRANIER RD, Garfield Twp, 35 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
- BEITNER RD @ M 37, Blair Twp, 31 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- DIVISION ST @ SILVER LAKE RD, Traverse City, 31 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- HAMMOND RD W @ N GARFIELD RD, Garfield Twp, 26 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- 3 MILE RD @ US 31, East Bay Twp, 26 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
- BARLOW ST @ E FRONT ST, Traverse City, 23 Total Crashes, 3 Injuries
- SOUTH AIRPORT RD @ CASS RD, Garfield Twp, 22 Total Crashes, 1 Injuries
- DIVISION ST @ W FRONT ST, Traverse City, 21 Total Crashes, 1 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers include any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On Top 2 Most Dangerous Intersections In Traverse City and Grand Traverse County
No. 1: US 31 @ South Airport Road, Garfield Township
Making an appearance once again at the top of our list of the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County is a very busy corner south of Traverse City. This area went from 41 car crashes in 2018 to 62 in 2019. With heavy traffic using US 31 in this region and the major retail presence, continue to use caution in this area.
No. 2: Garfield Road @ South Airport Road, Garfield Township
Another interchange along South Airport Road moved to the No. 2 spot on the list of the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County. With 37 traffic accidents in 2019 compared to 31 in 2018, this corner also sees heavy traffic volume from retail and restaurants. South Airport Road usually has at least 3 to 5 interchanges on this top ten list annually so avoid this road when possible.
Dangerous Intersection Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of car accident data analysis on Michigan traffic accidents, interchanges with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high traffic accident lists.
Visit our Michigan Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of interchange traffic accidents that can be searched by any Michigan city or county.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan traffic accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident in Michigan – at an intersection or anywhere – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by emailing [email protected] or you can use the chat feature on our website.