Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 most dangerous intersections in Kalamazoo County based on Michigan State Police car accident report data for 2019 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of the most dangerous intersections in Kalamazoo County is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
Interchanges are dangerous. In 2018, 28.2% of all fatal car accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2018 Quick Facts”)
But these Kalamazoo County interchanges are even more dangerous.
Our list of the most dangerous intersections in Kalamazoo County reflects the latest car accident report data available from 2019 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported traffic accidents. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us to provide the car accident report data that we use to identify the most dangerous intersections in Kalamazoo County. The underlying car accident report data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Kalamazoo County in 2019
- I 94 @ SPRINKLE RD (SOUTH OF I 94), Kalamazoo, 71 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
- HOWARD ST @ STADIUM DR, Kalamazoo, 55 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- DRAKE RD @ W K L AVE, Kalamazoo, 46 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- DRAKE RD @ STADIUM DR, Kalamazoo, 45 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- DRAKE RD @ W MAIN ST, Kalamazoo, 39 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- GULL RD @ SPRINKLE RD, Comstock Twp, 36 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- PARK ST @ W KALAMAZOO AVE, Kalamazoo, 33 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- ROMENCE PKWY @ S WESTNEDGE AVE, Portage, 31 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- GULL RD @ S RIVERVIEW DR, Kalamazoo, 31 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- WESTNEDGE AVE @ W KILGORE RD, Kalamazoo, 31 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers include any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information on the Top 2 Most Dangerous Intersections in Kalamazoo County
No. 1: I 94 and Sprinkle Road, Comstock Township
For the second year in a row, this roundabout just south of I 94 holds the No. 1 spot on the top 10 list of the most dangerous intersections in Kalamazoo County for 2019. With 71 total traffic accidents in 2019 this is a significant increase from the 54 car accidents in 2018. While these roundabouts were installed back in 2015, interchanges close to freeway on/off ramps typically see more auto accidents. Fortunately, reported injuries at this interchange remain very low with just two for 2019, bolstering the claim that roundabout designs lower the likelihood of a serious personal injury or fatality occurring due to the designs of roundabouts compared to traditional intersections.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 2: Howard Street and Stadium Drive, Kalamazoo
The No. 2 spot on the list for the most dangerous intersections in Kalamazoo County is held by a busy area south of Western Michigan University’s main campus. While an increase in traffic accidents from 42 in 2018 to 55 in 2019 is concerning, the rise in reported injuries from 4 in 2018 to 12 in 2019 makes this area risky to drive through. Use caution along these roads as many other interchanges on this top ten list are also in the general vicinity.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of car crash data analysis on Michigan traffic accidents, interchanges with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high traffic accident lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of interchange traffic accidents that can be searched by any Michigan city or county.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan traffic accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident in Michigan – at an intersection or anywhere – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by emailing [email protected] or you can use the chat feature on our website.