Our attorneys share the 10 most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County based on 2018 car accident data so local drivers can use extra caution when traveling through these areas.
This annual list of the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
Intersections are dangerous. But these Grand Traverse County intersections are even more dangerous.
Over 30% of all fatal car crashes occurred at intersections, according to Michigan Traffic Crash Facts (“2017 Quick Facts”).
Our list of the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County is the latest car accident data available from 2018 on the top 10 intersections with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to sincerely thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit, which compiled the raw car accident data from thousands of motor vehicle accident reports submitted by local police and law enforcement throughout Michigan.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County in 2018
- DIVISION ST/US 31 @ SILVER LAKE ROAD, Traverse City, 45 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
- US 31 @ 3 MILE ROAD, East Bay Twp, 42 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- US 31 @ SOUTH AIRPORT ROAD, Garfield Twp, 41 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- GARFIELD ROAD @ SOUTH AIRPORT ROAD, Garfield Twp, 31 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- BEITNER ROAD @ M 37, Blair Twp, 30 Total Crashes, 11 Injuries
- CASS ROAD @ SOUTH AIRPORT ROAD, Garfield Twp, 30 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- DIVISION ST @ GRANDVIEW PKWY, Traverse City, 30 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- BARLOW/LA FRANIER ROAD @ SOUTH AIRPORT ROAD, Garfield Twp, 29 Total Crashes, 11 Injuries
- DIVISION ST @ FRONT ST, Traverse City, 29 Total Crashes, 3 Injuries
- FRONT ST @ PENINSULA DR, Traverse City, 27 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit
*Data includes any car accident (including fender benders, injury car accidents and fatal car accidents) that occurred within 250 feet of the intersection, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways. “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout.
No. 1 Dangerous Intersection: Division Street/US 31 @ Silver Lake Road, Traverse City
New to the top spot on the list of the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County in 2018 is a busy intersection on the west side of Traverse City with a slight increase in car accidents from 2017. Unfortunately, this corner had an alarming increase in injuries from just 4 in 2017 to 22 in 2018. Use caution in this area, especially going through intersections like this one with blind curves that makes left hand turns risky.
No. 2 Dangerous Intersection: US 31 @ 3 Mile Road, East Bay Township
A surprise move to the No. 2 spot on the list of the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County is a road that ends at the main east/west corridor of US 31 with 42 car crashes in 2018 compared to just 33 in 2017. Injuries also increased as summer tourist season brings more cars and pedestrians.
Dangerous Intersection Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of car accident data analysis on Michigan car crashes, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high crash lists.
Visit our Michigan Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.