Our attorneys share the annual list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections based on car crash statistics for 2018
What are Michigan’s most dangerous intersections, based on Michigan State Police car accident data for 2018?
This is what Michigan drivers want to know. Armed with this information, drivers can choose to avoid these dangerous intersections and take alternative routes, or at least use extra-caution when driving in these areas.
An intersection is a dangerous place to be: Michigan Traffic Crash Facts reports that in 2017 over 30% of all fatal car crashes occurred at intersections. (“2017 Quick Facts”)
Our goal is to help make driving safer. Each year, our attorneys assemble a list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections based on the number of car crashes that have occurred at those interchanges.
Our attorneys would also like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for providing the car crash data which we then use to identify what intersections had the highest number of reported car crashes. The MSP-TCRU’s data is a compilation of the traffic crash data from motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement throughout Michigan.
Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections in Michigan for 2018:
- TELEGRAPH ROAD @ 12 MILE ROAD, Southfield, 145 Total Crashes, 24 Injuries
- ORCHARD LAKE ROAD @ 14 MILE ROAD, Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield, 144 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
- 18 1/2 MILE ROAD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 141 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- M 5/MARTIN PKWY @ PONTIAC TRL, Commerce Twp, 138 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- I 75 @ BIG BEAVER ROAD, Troy, 129 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- 11 MILE ROAD/I 696 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Warren/Center Line, 126 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH ROAD @ SCHOOLCRAFT ROAD, Redford Twp, 125 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
- STATE ROAD @ ELLSWORTH ROAD, Ann Arbor/Pittsfield Twp, 123 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- HALL ROAD/M59 @ SCHOENHERR ROAD, Utica/Sterling Heights, 116 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
- I 75 @ M 59, Auburn Hills, 115 Total Crashes, 30 Injuries
- JOY ROAD @ M 39/SOUTHFIELD FWY, Detroit, 99 Total Crashes, 26 Injuries
- HALL ROAD/M 59 @ ROMEO PLANK ROAD, Clinton Twp, 99 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- I 75 @ 14 MILE ROAD, Madison Heights, 96 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- METROPOLITAN PKWY @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 95 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
- METROPOLITAN PKWY @ MOUND ROAD, Sterling Heights, 94 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
- BIG BEAVER ROAD @ ROCHESTER ROAD, Troy, 92 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
- FORD ROAD @ LILLEY ROAD, Canton Twp, 91 Total Crashes, 25 Injuries
- 11 MILE ROAD @ GRATIOT AVE E, Roseville, 90 Total Crashes, 31 Injuries
- HALL ROAD/M 59 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Utica, 89 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- 8 MILE ROAD @ WOODWARD AVE, Detroit, 87 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers include any reported car accident that occurred within 250 feet of an intersection, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
Thankfully, there appeared to be a decrease in total car accidents at some of the busiest intersections in Michigan in 2018 compared to 2017. This is in line with overall Michigan car accident statistics as Michigan saw a slight decrease in total car crashes as well as injuries and fatalities when comparing a full year of 2018 car accident reports to 2017. However, all three numbers are still higher than they were in 2015 and 2014.
As we analyze the data every year on intersection car accidents, heavily traveled roads, populated areas and freeway on/off ramps remain top contributors for these types of car crashes. While the majority do not result in injuries, overall car accidents continue to be a significant indicator of the potential for injuries.
No. 1 Dangerous Intersection: Telegraph and 12 Mile Roads, Southfield
Taking over as the number one spot for Michigan’s most dangerous intersections for car crashes is the busy area along Telegraph Road just north of the Lodge M10 freeway. While there was a slight reduction in car accidents going from 150 in 2017 to 145 in 2018, this corner, when compared to others in the state, had the highest overall amount of car crashes last year. The number of injuries also remains high with 24 in 2018. Use caution in this busy area where high speeds on Telegraph Road may be factor in causing car accidents. Significantly, excessive speed was a contributing factor in more than 10% of fatal car accidents in 2017, according to Michigan Traffic Crash Facts.
No. 2 Dangerous Intersection: Orchard Lake and 14 Mile Roads – Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield
This congested roundabout saw the exact same number of car crashes in 2018 as it did in 2017. Injuries dropped slightly though from 24 in 2017 to 20 in 2018. The high number lands this roundabout into the No. 2 spot on the list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections for 2018, moving up from the No. 4 spot in 2017.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 3 Dangerous Intersection: 18 ½ Mile Road and Van Dyke Ave, Sterling Heights
Another busy roundabout remained in the top ten list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections for car accidents this year, but did see a reduction in car crashes, from 165 in 2017 to 141 in 2018. Injury totals remain low at just 12 in 2018. Hopefully this busy area near a major manufacturing plant continues its downward trend in 2019.
No. 4 Dangerous Intersection: M 5/Martin Pkwy and Pontiac Trail – Commerce Township
Once again, a busy roundabout makes the top ten list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections for 2018. This one – Oakland County’s largest – sees very heavy traffic volumes every year. There was a slight decrease in car crashes from 138 in 2018 compared to 142 in 2017. But for a large three-lane roundabout, there were only 9 injuries last year which once again speaks to the safety improvements seen from converting a traditional intersection into a roundabout.
No. 5 Dangerous Intersection: I 75 and Big Beaver Road – Troy
Rounding out the top 5 of the list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections is a busy east side road intersecting with the on/off ramps of I-75. With an increase from 120 car crashes in 2017 to 129 in 2018 this area continues to be a high risk one for drivers. As ongoing construction and closures along I-75 continues to contribute to traffic volume on local roads, use caution driving through these areas where business and retail traffic result in heavy volumes both day and night.
Noteworthy areas of concern for Michigan drivers:
A few intersections continue to sustain high levels of car accidents annually and should be driven through cautiously by drivers whenever possible. These include major freeway interchanges such as I-75 and M-59 in Auburn Hills, Joy Road and M-39 in Detroit and 11 Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue in Detroit – all of which have higher than average injuries and placed in the top five for Michigan intersections with injuries in 2018.
Dangerous Intersection Car Crash Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county. To read blog posts specific to Michigan counties and cities click here.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.