Michigan Auto Law attorney Jeffrey Bussell shares tips and strategies for protecting car accident injury victims from liens asserted on pain and suffering recoveries
Jeff Bussell will be discussing liens during his presentation at the Michigan Association for Justice’s 15th Annual No-Fault Institute in Novi, Michigan, on October 4-5, 2018.
Specifically, Jeff is going to be sharing tips and strategies that Michigan car accident attorneys can use to protect their clients when No-Fault insurance companies try to get improperly reimbursed for auto No Fault insurance benefits they’ve paid out by asserting a lien on a car accident victims’ third-party settlement for pain and suffering compensation.
The topics that Jeff will cover during his presentation, “3116 – A Challenge To A Smooth Settlement,” include:
- The No-Fault law’s general rule about liens on auto negligence tort claims to reimburse for PIP benefits paid.
- Exceptions to the general rule: The limited circumstances under which the general rule does not apply and insurers are permitted to attach liens to certain tort claim recoveries.
- Strategies and defenses that attorneys must know about in order to protect their clients if insurers try to invoke on one of these exceptions.
- Tips for eliminating and/or modifying indemnity agreements.
- How and if liens may affect attorneys’ fees and attorneys’ reimbursement for litigation expenses in obtaining a victim’s tort claim recovery.