Michigan Auto Accident Lawyer Says Don’t Eat and Drive!
The auto accident lawyers of Michigan Auto Law frequently tell our clients and friends to avoid driving while distracted. That means stop changing CDs, applying makeup, gabbing on the phone, checking e-mail, texting friends — and the worst culprit in some opinions — eating and drinking in the car.
Eating while driving is one of the most distracting things you can do, says a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). According to NHTSA, “Distraction was most likely to be involved in rear-end collisions in which the lead vehicle was stopped, as well as in single-vehicle car crashes.” As personal injury attorneys, we unfortunately see this all too often. Even worse, these car and truck accidents are completely preventable. Here’s a list of the 10 most dangerous foods to eat while driving by insurance.com, that can protect hungry Michigan drivers.
1. Coffee. Even with a travel lid, hot coffee can find its way out of the opening, and there’s high potential for a full spill.
2. Hot soup. Many drink hot soup like coffee, which poses the same risks.
3. Tacos. Any food that can disassemble itself will leave you and your car a mess.
4. Chili dogs. Drips down the front of your clothing are inevitable.
5. Hamburgers. From the grease to the toppings, a mess could end up on your hands and the wheel.
6. Ribs and wings. Of course licking your fingers can be highly distracting.
7. Fried chicken. Again, you’ll have to wipe your greasy hands while driving.
8. Jelly donuts. It’s nearly impossible to eat one without watching the center ooze out.
9. Soda. Carbonation. Fizz in the nose. Lids that leak…
10. Chocolate. It’s tough to clean melted chocolate off the steering wheel without swerving.
Distractions like eating and drinking can become a problem for drivers who can’t react quickly to a sharp curve, another driver’s abrupt stop or changes in road conditions due to inclement weather. Read here for safe driving tips and how to avoid a truck accident. And next time your stomach growls and you’re on the road, think about how noshing while driving can put you in harms way. Please wait till you’re not behind the wheel to take a bite.
Michigan Auto Law is the largest law firm exclusively handling car accident, truck accident and motorcycle accident cases throughout the entire state. If you have been in an accident due to distracted driving, we can help. Call (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with an auto accident lawyer.
— Steven M. Gursten is recognized as one of the nation’s top experts in serious car and truck accident injury cases and automobile insurance no-fault litigation. Steve has received the largest jury verdict for an automobile accident case in Michigan in four of the past seven years, including 2008, according to Michigan Lawyers Weekly.
— Photo courtesy of Creative Commons, by WenDaLicious