Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2022
How often do you pass through one of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections?
We want you to know so that you can make informed decisions for your family’s safety.
Below our attorneys identify the Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections in Michigan in 2022 based on the total number of car accidents that occurred at those interchanges in 2022. The Top 20 list is comprised of those intersections with the highest number of crashes.
It is important to remember that an intersection will always be more dangerous and pose a greater risk for drivers than a road without intersecting traffic. To give you some idea of just how dangerous, in 2022 nearly a third (29.2%) of all fatal motor vehicle accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections.
Our auto accident attorneys share our annual list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections based on official car accident statistics for 2022
What are Michigan’s most dangerous intersections? As we do every year, our auto accident attorneys have assembled the following list of Michigan’s Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections in 2022 based on Michigan State Police official data for the number of car accidents that occurred at intersections in 2022.
Knowing the intersections that have the most car accidents allows prudent drivers to decide whether it is better and safer to avoid these roads and take alternative routes.
While a car accident does not always mean someone was injured, it does increase substantially the likelihood of an injury occurring.
At the very least, we hope this list will alert drivers to the fact that they should be extra-cautious when traveling through these areas.
We wish to sincerely thank everyone at the Michigan State Police, especially the Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for compiling the car accident crash data that we use to identify Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections. The Michigan State Police’s underlying data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2022?
- 11 MILE RD/I 696 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Warren/Centerline, 207 Total Crashes, 41 Injuries
- SCHOOLCRAFT RD @ TELEGRAPH RD, Redford Township, 126 Total Crashes, 30 Injuries
- MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRL, Commerce Township, 126 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries (Roundabout)
- 18 1/2 MILE RD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 118 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries (Roundabout)
- TELEGRAPH RD @ 12 MILE RD, Southfield, 110 Total Crashes, 30 Injuries
- 10 MILE RD @ I 94, St. Clair Shores, 103 Total Crashes, 2 Fatalities, 28 Injuries
- SOUTHFIELD RD @ 11 MILE RD, Lathrup Village, 101 Total Crashes, 34 Injuries
- MIDDLE BELT RD @ SCHOOLCRAFT RD, Livonia, 99 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- US 131 @ WEALTHY ST, Grand Rapids, 98 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- STATE RD @ ELLSWORTH RD, Ann Arbor, 93 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries (Roundabout)
- 12 MILE RD @ I 94, Roseville, 90 Total Crashes, 24 Injuries
- HALL RD @ SCHOENHERR RD, Sterling Heights, 84 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- 11 MILE RD/I 696 @ HOOVER, Warren, 83 Total Crashes, 1 Fatality, 17 Injuries
- 6 MILE RD @ I 96/I 275, Livonia, 83 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- HALL RD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Utica, 82 Total Crashes, 16 Injuries
- DIX AVE @ M 39, Lincoln Park, 81 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
- BURTON ST SW @ US 131, Grand Rapids, 78 Total Crashes, 35 Injuries
- DIXIE HWY @ I 75, Bridgeport Township, 76 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- FARMINGTON RD @ W MAPLE RD, West Bloomfield Township, 76 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- 7 MILE RD @ I 75, Detroit, 71 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (NOTE: The list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections is the most current data available for total crashes at intersections in Michigan in 2022. “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 200 feet of an intersection including near freeways (and their subsequent on-ramps off-ramps and service streets), divided highways and rural roads.)
The more heavily traveled roads will tend to have more total car accidents. Also, highly-populated areas tend to have more cars on the roads and therefore more auto accidents. Additionally, freeway on/off ramps remain top contributors for causing a high number of car accidents. Many Michigan “on/off” ramps have older “cloverleaf” designs that are less safe than newer ramps.
Finally, even though an auto accident does not always result in a person being injured, it does increase substantially the likelihood of an injury occurring.
More Information On Michigan’s Top 5 Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: 11 MILE RD/I 696 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Warren/Centerline
In the #1 spot on our list of Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections for 2022 is an area where a heavily traveled stretch of road in Macomb County crosses over a busy suburban freeway.
Although total crashes at this interchange dropped slightly from 129 in 2019 to 124 in 2020, they increased to 173 in 2021 and then again up to 207 in 2022 – up 60% from 2019.
This interchange which was #1 on our Top 20 list for 2021 with multiple traffic signals and merging traffic had 41 reported injuries in 2022, which was the highest number of reported car accident injuries at any intersection in the state that year.
No. 2: SCHOOLCRAFT RD @ TELEGRAPH RD, Redford Township
The busy area where Telegraph Road passes over Schoolcraft Road and the I-96 freeway is in the top five for the state of Michigan with 126 total crashes and 30 injuries in 2022.
This is an uptick from 104 crashes and 21 injuries in 2021 and 108 crashes and 27 injuries in 2020.
However, the numbers show an overall improvement from 2019 for this high activity interchange where east and westbound Schoolcraft traffic intersects with north and southbound service road traffic off of Telegraph.
Total accidents in 2022 were down 40% from 210 in 2019 and injuries were down nearly 22% from 41.
No. 3: MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRL, Commerce Township
This busy roundabout which is also Oakland County’s largest roundabout has climbed up from position #4 on our Top 20 Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections list for 2021.
Nevertheless, total accidents at this interchange in 2022 were down from 140 in 2021 and from 161 in 2019.
However, they were slightly higher than the 110 collisions in 2020.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 4: 18 1/2 MILE RD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights
The bad news is that this busy roundabout in Macomb County is again on the list of Michigan’s Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections. In 2021, it was #3 and in 2020 and 2019, it was #1.
However, the very good news is that total crashes at this interchange in 2022 were the lowest they’ve been in four years.
With 118 collisions in 2022, total crashes were down nearly 30% from 168 in 2021. They were down nearly 10% from 131 in 2020. And they were down 48% from 229 in 2019.
No. 5: TELEGRAPH RD @ 12 MILE RD, Southfield
This intersection with its considerable shopping traffic saw 110 total accidents in 2022, which was nearly 16% higher than 95 in 2021 and 25% more than 88 in 2020.
However, overall crashes at this interchange in 2022 were 14% lower than in 2019 when there were 128 collisions.
Unfortunately, crash-related injuries in 2022 were the highest in the last four years.
Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections Car Accident Data for other cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan intersection accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high crash lists.
To read blog posts on the state’s most dangerous intersections specific to counties and cities click here.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident in Michigan, contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Injured in a car accident at one of Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections? Call now
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in a car accident at one of Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections call now (855) 781-7747 for a free consultation with one of our experienced car accident lawyers. There is no cost or obligation. You can also visit our contact page or use the chat feature on our website.
Michigan Auto Law is Michigan’s largest and most successful law firm that specializes exclusively in helping people who have been injured in auto accidents.
Our secret? Our car accident attorneys deliberately handle fewer cases than other personal injury law firms. This allows us to focus more time and attention on our cases.
Unlike other law firms, our auto accident attorneys are never too busy to promptly return phone calls and answer questions.
We have more than 1,900 5-Star Reviews that reflect this care and attention to detail.
More importantly, this client-focused approach leads to better and faster settlements for our clients. Michigan Auto Law has recovered more million-dollar settlements and trial verdicts for motor vehicle accidents than any other lawyer or law firm in Michigan. We’ve also recovered the highest ever reported truck accident and car accident settlement in the state.
Call now so we can start making a real difference for you.