Have you been injured? you may have a case.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Insurance Coverage

What happens if I’m in a car accident while driving another person’s car in Michigan?

Attorneys can explain whose auto insurance will cover your No-Fault benefits

Our auto accident attorneys are frequently called on to help drivers better understand how No-Fault insurance applies when someone is driving another person’s car and they get in a serious crash.

If you’re involved in a car accident while driving a car that’s owned by another individual, it’s best to first speak with an auto accident attorney to ensure your legal rights are protected. Call Michigan Auto Law at (800) 777-0028.

To summarize, in a scenario where you borrow another person’s car and have an accident, the order of priority for No-Fault insurers would be as follows:

  1. Insurer of a relative that you live with
  2. Insurer of your spouse
  3. Insurer of the owner or registrant of the vehicle occupied at the time of the collision
  4. Insurer of the operator of the vehicle occupied at the time of the car accident,
  5. Michigan Assigned Claims Plan, which is administered by the Michigan Automobile Insurance Placement Facility (MAIPF)


If you’re unclear about your eligibility for No-Fault insurance benefits, one of our car accident attorneys would be happy to speak with you at no charge. Call (800) 777-0028 or fill out our consultation form.