Our attorneys share the list of Oakland County’s Top 10 most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2021 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2021, more than a third (31.3%) of all fatal motor vehicle accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections.
Our list of intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2021 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify these intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2021?
Here are the most dangerous intersections in Oakland County in 2021:
- MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRL, Commerce Township, Total Crashes 140, Injuries 18
- ORCHARD LAKE RD @ 14 MILE RD, Farmington Hills, Total Crashes 122, Injuries 15
- TELEGRAPH RD @ 12 MILE RD, Southfield, Total Crashes 95, Injuries 15
- SOUTHFIELD RD @ W 11 MILE RD, Lathrup Village, Total Crashes 91, Injuries 28
- FRANKLIN RD @ W SQUARE LAKE RD, Bloomfield Township, Total Crashes 67, Injuries 22
- TELEGRAPH RD @ MAPLE RD, Bloomfield Township, Total Crashes 63, Injuries 30
- DIXIE HWY @ I 75, Springfield Township, Total Crashes 61, Injuries 8
- 13 MILE RD @ WOODWARD AVE, Royal Oak, Total Crashes 60, Injuries 10
- I 75 @ M 59, Auburn Hills, Total Crashes 59, Injuries 15
- BECK RD @ I 96, Novi, Total Crashes 57, Injuries 15
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (NOTE: The list of most dangerous intersections is the latest data available from 2021 for total crashes at intersections in Michigan. “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 200 feet of an intersection including near freeways (and their subsequent on-ramps off-ramps and service streets), divided highways and rural roads.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRL, Commerce Township
The largest roundabout in Oakland County is again in the #1 spot on the list of Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections.
But its story over the last several years is an interesting one.
Although total crashes at this roundabout increased between 2020 and 2021, its total crash numbers overall were lower in 2021 than they were in 2019.
In 2021, there 140 total crashes, up from 110 in 2020.
However, the 140 car accidents at this roundabout in 2021 was still 13% lower than the 161 auto accidents that occurred there in 2019.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 2: ORCHARD LAKE RD @ 14 MILE RD, Farmington Hills
Again, this congested Oakland County roundabout finds itself in the #2 spot on the list of Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections.
And like the roundabout in the #1 position on the list, this roundabout also an interesting story.
From 2020 to 2021, total crashes here increased 89 to 122.
But the total number of crashes that occurred at this roundabout in 2021 were still 31% lower than the 178 that occurred here in 2019.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident, contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Injured in a car accident at one of Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections? Contact a Michigan Auto Law attorney first a free consultation
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in a car accident at one of Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections and you have questions about your legal rights to pain and suffering compensation, economic damages and auto No-Fault insurance benefits, you can speak to one of our experienced Farmington Hills car accident lawyers at (248) 353-7575 for a free consultation. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or chat feature on our website.