Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Washtenaw County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2020 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of Washtenaw County’s most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2019, 31% of all fatal traffic accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2019 Quick Facts”)
With a majority of the workforce working remotely due to COVID-19 and, thus, not commuting to and from work for much of the year, overall crashes in 2020 in Michigan were down 21.9% from 2019 and the lowest level since at least 2010, according to preliminary data from the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center.
Our list of Washtenaw County’s most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2020 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify Washtenaw County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Washtenaw County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2020?
- STATE RD @ ELLSWORTH RD, Ann Arbor, 69 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- CARPENTER RD @ MICHIGAN AVE, Pittsfield Twp, 45 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- JACKSON RD @ ZEEB RD, Scio Twp, 41 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- CARPENTER RD @ ELLSWORTH RD, Pittsfield Twp, 39 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- HOGBACK/CARPENTER RD @ WASHTENAW AVE, Pittsfield Twp, 35 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- GOLFSIDE DR @ WASHTENAW AVE, Pittsfield Twp, 34 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- CARPENTER RD @ PACKARD ST, Pittsfield Twp, 29 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- HEWITT RD @ WASHTENAW AVE, Ypsilanti, 25 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- HURON PKWY @ WASHTENAW AVE, Ann Arbor, 25 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- HAMILTON ST @ MICHIGAN AVE, Ypsilanti, 24 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash date encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Washtenaw County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: State Road and Ellsworth Road, Ann Arbor/Pittsfield Township
Retaining the top spot among the Washtenaw County’s most dangerous intersections once again this year is the busy roundabout bordering Ann Arbor and Pittsfield Township. After a few years of increases, this intersection saw a decrease of more than half in the total number of crashes, going from 154 in 2019 to 69 in 2020. Reported injuries continue to remain far below average, confirming that roundabout designs lower the likelihood of a serious personal injury or fatality.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 2: Carpenter Road and Michigan Avenue, Pittsfield Township
Moving up several spots from its ranking on last year’s list is an intersection just east of a busy interchange along Michigan Avenue. As we see in many cases, intersections close to freeway interchanges see more accidents due to heavy traffic. Even though this intersection had a slightly lower number of crashes in 2020 compared to 2019, the number of injuries climbed, going from 12 in 2019 to 14 in 2020. Given the significant decrease in traffic volume in 2020 due to the pandemic, this rise in injuries is concerning.
Our personal injury lawyers urge drivers to use caution in this area with merging freeway traffic through the on and off ramps.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at one of Washtenaw County’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the area – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (866) 886-9668 for a free consultation with one of our experienced Ann Arbor car accident lawyers. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or you can use the chat feature on our website.