Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2020 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2019, 31% of all fatal traffic accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2019 Quick Facts”)
With a majority of the workforce working remotely due to COVID-19 and, thus, not commuting to and from work for much of the year, overall crashes in 2020 in Michigan were down 21.9% from 2019 and the lowest level since at least 2010, according to preliminary data from the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center.
Our list of Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2020 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2020?
- MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRL, Commerce Twp, 110 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- ORCHARD LAKE RD @ 14 MILE RD, Farmington Hills, 89 Total Crashes, 11 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ 12 MILE RD, Southfield, 88 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
- SOUTHFIELD RD @ W 11 MILE RD, Lathrup Village, 70 Total Crashes, 16 Injuries
- DARTMOUTH @ W 12 MILE RD, Madison Heights, 63 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- I-75 @ 12 MILE RD, Madison Heights, 61 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- DIXIE HWY @ I-75, Springfield Twp, 52 Total Crashes, 11 Injuries
- 8 MILE RD @ WOODWARD AVE, Ferndale, 51 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- BIG BEAVER RD @ ROCHESTER RD, Troy, 51 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ MAPLE RD, Bloomfield Twp, 48 Total Crashes, 23 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: M 5/Martin Pkwy and Pontiac Trail – Commerce Township
As Oakland County’s largest roundabout, this area sees very heavy traffic volumes every year, making this intersection the fourth highest in the state for total crashes – in addition to being number one on Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections list. There was a decrease in car crashes from 110 in 2020 compared to 161 in 2019. Also, there were only 4 reported injuries in 2020 which once again speaks to the safety improvements seen from converting a traditional intersection into a roundabout.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 2: Orchard Lake and 14 Mile Roads – Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield
Not far behind is another congested roundabout that saw a 50% decrease in crashes, going from 178 accidents in 2019 to 89 in 2020. Unfortunately, while the number of injuries decreased from 22 in 2019 to 11 in 2020, this intersection still had the highest number of injuries of any roundabout in the state. The area also likely had higher than usual traffic volume with the closure of the Maple and Middlebelt intersection in 2020.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at one of Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the state – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (866) 886-9668 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or you can use the chat feature on our website.