Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Muskegon County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2020 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of Muskegon County’s most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2019, 31% of all fatal traffic accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2019 Quick Facts”)
With a majority of the workforce working remotely due to COVID-19 and, thus, not commuting to and from work for much of the year, overall crashes in 2020 in Michigan were down 21.9% from 2019 and the lowest level since at least 2010, according to preliminary data from the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center.
This list reflects the latest car accident data available from 2020 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify Muskegon County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Muskegon County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2020?
- US 31 @ SHERMAN BLVD, Muskegon, 43 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- APPLE AVE @ GETTY ST, Muskegon, 31 Total Crashes, 19 Injuries
- GETTY ST @ LAKETON AVE, Muskegon, 28 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- LAKETON AVE @ SEAWAY DR, Muskegon, 27 Total Crashes, 11 Injuries
- HOLTON RD/M 120 @ WHITEHALL RD, North Muskegon, 24 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- HARVEY ST @ STERNBERG RD, Fruitport Twp, 23 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- HOLTON RD @ US 31, Muskegon Twp, 21 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- APPLE AVE @ US 31, Muskegon, 21 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- APPLE AVE @ SHONAT ST, Muskegon Twp, 18 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- LAKETON AVE @ WOOD ST, Muskegon, 16 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Muskegon County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: US 31 and Sherman Blvd, Muskegon
A busy area east of Muskegon remained in the No. 1 spot for the most dangerous intersection in Muskegon County for 2020 with 43 traffic accidents compared to 64 in 2019. Luckily the number of injuries at this corner remained low with just 8 in 2020. As we see many intersections on these lists across the state that are freeway on and off ramps, drivers should continue to use caution when entering and exiting US 31.
No. 2: Apple Avenue and Getty Street, Muskegon
Jumping up several spots in the top ten list with the second highest number of intersection crashes in Muskegon County is a busy area west of US 31 and just a few miles north of the most dangerous intersection in Muskegon County. This intersection saw an increase in both total crashes as well as injuries in 2020 compared to 2019. Given the overall decrease in crashes due to less traffic in 2020, it is troubling to see a rise in crashes and injuries at this corner.
Our personal injury lawyers urge drivers to use caution in these areas as traffic volumes increase throughout 2021.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at one of Muskegon County’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the area – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (866) 886-9668 for a free consultation with one of our experienced Muskegon car accident lawyers. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or you can use the chat feature on our website.