Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Monroe County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2020 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of Monroe County’s most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2019, 31% of all fatal traffic accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2019 Quick Facts”)
With a majority of the workforce working remotely due to COVID-19 and, thus, not commuting to and from work for much of the year, overall crashes in 2020 in Michigan were down 21.9% from 2019 and the lowest level since at least 2010, according to preliminary data from the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center.
Our list of Monroe County’s most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2020 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify Monroe County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Monroe County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2020?
- TELEGRAPH RD @ STEWART RD, Frenchtown Twp, 32 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ CUSTER RD, Monroe, 19 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- COLE RD @ N MONROE ST, Frenchtown Twp, 18 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- I 75 @ DIXIE HWY, Frenchtown Twp, 18 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
- SECOR RD @ STERNS RD, Bedford Twp, 17 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- FREDERICKS DR @ TELEGRAPH RD, Monroe, 14 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- I 275 @ TELEGRAPH RD, Ash Twp, 14 Total Crashes, 1 Injuries
- NEWPORT RD @ TELEGRAPH RD, Ash Twp, 13 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- LEWIS AVE @ SMITH RD, Bedford Twp, 12 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- I 75 @ SANDY CREEK RD, Frenchtown Twp, 12 Total Crashes, 1 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Monroe County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: Telegraph and Stewart Roads, Frenchtown Township
Retaining the top spot for the fourth year in a row is this busy area that did see a slight decrease in crashes with 32 total car accidents in 2020. This is good news considering that four years ago the intersection had a much higher amount with 58 total car crashes. With the high speed traffic traveling through Telegraph Road, it is also good news to see that the number of injuries in 2020 were half what they were in 2019.
No. 2: Telegraph Road and S Custer Road/Front Street, Monroe
Just a few miles south of the most dangerous intersection in Monroe County is the number two spot near downtown Monroe. Just like the intersection above, this one also had a decrease from year to year, with 19 total crashes in 2020 compared to 25 crashes in 2019. This intersection also had a slight decrease in injuries, but local drivers should continue to drive carefully along Telegraph Road with its higher speed limits and heavy traffic.
Our personal injury lawyers encourage drivers to use caution in these areas.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at one of Monroe County’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the area – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (866) 886-9668 for a free consultation with one of our experienced Monroe car accident lawyers . There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or you can use the chat feature on our website.