Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Jackson County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2020 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2019, 31% of all fatal traffic accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2019 Quick Facts”)
With a majority of the workforce working remotely due to COVID-19 and, thus, not commuting to and from work for much of the year, overall crashes in 2020 in Michigan were down 21.9% from 2019 and the lowest level since at least 2010, according to preliminary data from the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center.
Our list of Jackson County’s most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2020 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify Jackson County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Jackson County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2020?
- AIRPORT RD @ BOARDMAN RD, Blackman Twp, 29 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- AIRPORT RD @ I 94, Blackman Twp, 24 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- WEST AVE @ W GANSON ST, Jackson, 22 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- WEST AVE @ W MONROE ST, Jackson, 21 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- LAURENCE AVE @ WILDWOOD AVE, Blackman Twp, 19 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- AIRPORT RD @ COUNTY FARM RD, Blackman Twp, 16 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
- MICHIGAN AVE @ DETTMAN RD, Blackman Twp, 16 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
- ANDREW AVE @ BOARDMAN RD, Blackman Twp, 15 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- WEST AVE @ ARGYLE ST, Jackson, 15 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- WEST AVE @ MICHIGAN AVE, Jackson, 14 Total Crashes, 3 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Jackson County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: Airport Road and Boardman Road, Blackman Township
An intersection next to a busy freeway just west of downtown Jackson takes over the top spot once more as the most dangerous intersection in Jackson County. With most intersections seeing an overall decrease in crashes in 2020 due to the pandemic, it is concerning to see this area having an increase, going from 19 crashes in 2019 to 29 crashes in 2020. Even more troubling is the number of injuries also going up, from 6 injuries in 2019 to 10 injuries in 2020.
No. 2: Airport Road and I 94, Blackman Township
Just a few hundred feet north of the most dangerous intersection in Jackson County is the number two spot where Airport Road goes over I 94. Just like the intersection above, this one also had an increase from year to year, with 24 total crashes in 2020 compared to 22 crashes in 2019. Luckily this intersection did have a slight decrease in injuries, but local drivers should continue to drive carefully all throughout this area with heavy traffic and a high volume of crashes.
Our personal injury lawyers urge drivers to use caution in this area with merging freeway traffic through the on and off ramps.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at one of Jackson County’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the area – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (866) 886-9668 for a free consultation with one of our experienced Jackson car accident lawyers. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or you can use the chat feature on our website.