Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Grand Traverse County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2020 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
In 2019, 31% of all fatal traffic accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2019 Quick Facts”)
With a majority of the workforce working remotely due to COVID-19 and, thus, not commuting to and from work for much of the year, overall crashes in 2020 in Michigan were down 21.9% from 2019 and the lowest level since at least 2010, according to preliminary data from the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center.
Our list of Grand Traverse County’s most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2020 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us by providing the car accident data that we use to identify Grand Traverse County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Grand Traverse County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2020?
- SOUTH AIRPORT RD @ US 31, Garfield Twp, 35 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- BEITNER RD @ M 37, Blair Twp, 28 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- DIVISION ST @ FRONT ST, Traverse City, 22 Total Crashes, 11 Injuries
- DIVISION ST @ SILVER LAKE RD, Traverse City, 22 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- SOUTH AIRPORT RD @ BARLOW ST/LA FRANIER RD, Garfield Twp, 21 Total Crashes, 11 Injuries
- SOUTH AIRPORT RD @ GARFIELD RD, Garfield Twp, 21 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- LAUTNER RD @ M 72, Acme Twp, 20 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- HAMMOND RD W @ GARFIELD RD, Garfield Twp, 19 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- 3 MILE RD @ US 31, East Bay Twp, 19 Total Crashes, 3 Injuries
- FRONT ST @ GARFIELD AVE E, Traverse City, 19 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The crash data encompasses and includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Grand Traverse County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: US 31 @ South Airport Road, Garfield Township
Making an appearance once again at the top of our list of the most dangerous intersections in Grand Traverse County is a very busy corner south of Traverse City. As is the trend with most crashes in 2020, there was a decrease at this intersection, going from 62 car crashes in 2019 to 35 in 2020. With heavy traffic using US 31 in this region and a major retail presence, continue to use caution in this area.
No. 2: Beitner Road and M37, Blair Township
Moving up several spots from its ranking on last year’s Grand Traverse County’s most dangerous intersections list is an intersection just a few miles south of the number one intersection in the county. Locally known as Chums Corner, this busy area sees heavy traffic volume as US 31 connects Traverse City to many neighboring communities. There was a slight decrease in crashes in the area with 28 total accidents in 2020 compared to 31 in 2019.
Our personal injury lawyers urge drivers to use caution in this area with the heavy traffic, especially during the peak summer months.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of the top twenty intersections in the state for auto accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at one of Grand Traverse County’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the area – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (866) 886-9668 for a free consultation with one of our experienced Traverse City car accident lawyers. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by visiting our contact page or you can use the chat feature on our website.