Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident reports for 2019 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
Interchanges are dangerous. In 2018, 28.2% of all fatal traffic accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2018 Quick Facts”)
But these Oakland County interchanges are even more dangerous.
Our list of Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident data available from 2019 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us to provide the car accident data that we use to identify Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying traffic accident data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2019?
- ORCHARD LAKE RD @ 14 MILE RD, Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield, 178 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
- M 5/MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRAIL, Commerce Twp, 161 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ 12 MILE RD, Southfield, 128 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- BIG BEAVER RD @ I 75, Troy, 113 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- SOUTHFIELD RD @ 11 MILE RD, Lathrup Village, 93 Total Crashes, 31 Injuries
- DIXIE HWY @ I 75, Springfield Twp, 79 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ SQUARE LAKE RD, Bloomfield Twp, 78 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
- BECK RD @ I 96, Novi, 74 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- ORCHARD LAKE RD @ 12 MILE RD, Farmington Hills, 72 Total Crashes, 21 Injuries
- BIG BEAVER RD @ ROCHESTER RD, Troy, 72 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers include any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Oakland County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1: Orchard Lake and 14 Mile Roads – Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield
This congested roundabout saw a surprising 24% increase in traffic accidents in 2019 compared to 2018, giving it the third highest amount of total traffic accidents in the state. The amount of reported injuries also remained higher than most other roundabouts with 22 in 2019. The area continues to see heavy traffic volume and with the closure of the Maple and Middlebelt road interchange in 2019, more vehicles than usual detouring through here likely caused the rise in auto accidents.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 2: M 5/Martin Pkwy and Pontiac Trail – Commerce Township
Another busy roundabout topped the list in Oakland County with a surprising increase in traffic accidents from 161 in 2019 compared to 138 in 2018. But as has been the case for the past few years, there were only 12 reported injuries in 2019 which once again speaks to the safety improvements seen from converting a traditional interchange into a roundabout.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of interchange-related car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at on of Oakland County’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the state – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by emailing [email protected] or you can use the chat feature on our website.