Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of the most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County based on Michigan State Police car accident report data for 2019 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of the most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
Interchanges are dangerous. In 2018, 28.2% of all fatal car accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2018 Quick Facts”)
But these Lansing and Ingham County interchanges are even more dangerous.
Our list of the most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County reflects the latest car accident report data available from 2019 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us to provide the car accident report data that we use to identify the most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County. The underlying car accident report data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Lansing and Ingham County in 2019
- SAGINAW ST @ N HOMER ST, Lansing Twp, 61 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- US 127 @ TROWBRIDGE RD, East Lansing, 56 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- GRAND RIVER AVE @ S HAGADORN RD, East Lansing, 52 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- JOLLY RD @ S CEDAR ST, Lansing, 46 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- GRAND RIVER AVE @ N HOWARD ST, Lansing Twp, 45 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR BLVD @ W MAIN ST, Lansing, 44 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR BLVD @ W SAINT JOSEPH ST, Lansing, 39 Total Crashes, 23 Injuries
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR BLVD @ W HOLMES RD, Lansing, 39 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- ABBOT RD @ W SAGINAW ST, East Lansing, 37 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- SAGINAW ST @ N CLIPPERT ST, Lansing, 36 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers include any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 Most Dangerous Intersections in Lansing and Ingham County
No. 1: Saginaw Street and Homer Street, Lansing Township
This busy area that tops the list of the most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County is located west of the MSU campus where Homer Street traffic using US 127 meets up with busy Saginaw Street. There was a sharp increase in traffic accidents in 2019, going from 52 in 2018 to 61 car crashes in 2019. Use caution in the area.
No. 2: US 127/I 496 and Trowbridge Road, East Lansing
The second highest number of Ingham County car crashes occurred at another area where high speed traffic is entering and exiting US 127. As a popular access point to MSU, there was a large number of traffic accidents in 2019. Use caution especially when exiting US 127 northbound onto Trowbridge where a sharp turn requires much slower speeds.
Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan traffic accidents, interchanges with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of interchange car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan traffic accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident in Michigan – at an intersection or anywhere – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by emailing [email protected] or you can use the chat feature on our website.