Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 most dangerous intersections in Detroit based on Michigan State Police car accident report data for 2019 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of the most dangerous intersections in Detroit is provided by our Detroit Car Accident Lawyers to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
Interchanges are dangerous. In 2018, 28.2% of all fatal car accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2018 Quick Facts”)
But these Detroit interchanges are even more dangerous.
Our list of the most dangerous intersections in Detroit reflects the latest car accident report data available from 2019 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us to provide the car accident report data that we use to identify the most dangerous intersections in Detroit. The underlying car accident report data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Detroit in 2019
- MACK AVE @ I 75, 75 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
- JOY RD @ M 39, 67 Total Crashes, 29 Injuries
- M 39 @ WARREN AVE, 66 Total Crashes, 16 Injuries
- GRAND RIVER AVE @ I 96, 65 Total Crashes, 21 Injuries
- 8 MILE RD @ I 75, 64 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- WARREN AVE @ I 75, 62 Total Crashes, 19 Injuries
- CONANT ST @ E DAVISON ST, 57 Total Crashes, 26 Injuries
- 7 MILE RD @ I 75, 54 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- LIVERNOIS AVE @ W DAVISON ST, 52 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
- I 94 @ MOROSS RD, 51 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers include any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 Most Dangerous Intersections in Detroit
No. 1: Mack Avenue and I 75
A new interchange took over the number one spot for most dangerous intersection in Detroit in 2019 and it is located where Mack Avenue passes over I 75. This busy area with multiple hospitals and residences saw an increase from 67 traffic accidents in 2018 to 75 in 2019. Use caution as you travel through this area.
No. 2: Joy Road and M 39 (Southfield Freeway)
Another busy interchange on the west side of the city saw a major decrease in total car accidents, going from 99 in 2018 to 67 in 2019. This intersection had an increase in reported injuries though with 29 in 2019, giving it the unfortunate title of number one interchange in the city of Detroit for reported injuries.
Dangerous Intersection Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan traffic accidents, interchanges with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists.
Visit our Michigan Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection traffic accidents that can be searched by any Michigan city or county.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan traffic accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a traffic accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a traffic accident in Michigan – at an intersection or anywhere – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by emailing [email protected] or you can use the chat feature on our website.