Our attorneys share the list of the top 10 of Macomb County’s most dangerous intersections based on Michigan State Police car accident report data for 2019 so local drivers can use extra caution when they’re traveling through these areas.
This annual list of Macomb County’s most dangerous intersections is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
Interchanges are dangerous. In 2018, 28.2% of all fatal car accident in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2018 Quick Facts”)
But these Macomb County interchanges are even more dangerous.
Our list of Macomb County’s most dangerous intersections reflects the latest car accident report data available from 2019 on the top 10 interchanges with the highest number of reported car crashes. Our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us to provide the traffic accident report data that we use to identify Macomb County’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying car accident report data analysis is compiled using motor vehicle accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
Top 10 List of Macomb County’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2019
- 18 1/2 MILE RD @ VAN DYKE AVE , Sterling Heights, 229 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- 11 MILE RD/I 696 @ VAN DYKE AVE , Center Line, 129 Total Crashes, 31 Injuries
- HALL RD @ SCHOENHERR RD , Shelby Twp, 96 Total Crashes, 16 Injuries
- 23 MILE RD @ I 94 , Chesterfield Twp, 94 Total Crashes, 24 Injuries
- 11 MILE RD @ GRATIOT AVE E , Roseville, 94 Total Crashes, 23 Injuries
- HALL RD @ ROMEO PLANK RD , Clinton Twp, 86 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
- METROPOLITAN PKWY @ MOUND RD , Sterling Heights, 77 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
- 23 MILE RD @ M 53 , Shelby Twp, 77 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- 14 MILE RD @ DEQUINDRE RD , Madison Heights, 73 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- METROPOLITAN PKWY @ VAN DYKE AVE , Sterling Heights, 72 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers includes any traffic accident reported that occurred within 250 feet of an interchange, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
More Information On The Top 2 of Macomb County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1 Dangerous intersection: 18 ½ Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue, Sterling Heights
This busy roundabout not only took over the top spot on the list of Macomb County’s most dangerous intersections (as well as Michigan’s), but it also had a 62% increase in car accidents, going from 141 in 2018 to 229 in 2019. This is surprising considering this interchange has been a roundabout for well over ten years and local drivers are familiar with it. Hopefully this busy area near a large manufacturing plant will see improvements in 2020.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 2 Dangerous intersection: 11 Mile Road/I 696 and Van Dyke Avenue, Warren/Center Line
The second highest number of Macomb County interchange car crashes occurred at this busy interchange along I 696. While the car accident volume continued to hold steady from 2018 to 2019 with 129 auto accidents versus 126, the number of reported injuries went up to 31 and unfortunately puts this area at the top for the number of reported injuries in Macomb County’s most dangerous intersections.
As in past years, Van Dyke Avenue continues to show up in the list with three of the ten spots along this road.
Dangerous Intersection Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan traffic accidents, interchanges with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high car crash lists. Visit our Michigan Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of interchange car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan traffic accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident in Michigan – at an intersection or anywhere – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced auto accident attorney by emailing [email protected] or you can use the chat feature on our website.