Our attorneys share the annual list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections based on car accident report data for 2019
What are Michigan’s most dangerous intersections, based on Michigan State Police car accident report data for 2019? Knowing what interchanges have the most crashes allows careful drivers to choose to avoid them and take alternative routes. It also lets drivers know that they should be using extra-caution when driving in these areas.
It turns out that too many intersections in Michigan are a dangerous place for drivers to be:
- In 2018, 28.2% of the 905 fatal car accidents in Michigan occurred at intersections. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, “2018 Quick Facts”)
- In 2018, 38% of the 255 fatal intersection car accidents in Michigan occurred with stop signs present. (2018 Michigan Traffic Crash Facts – Statewide, Crash/Intersection Crashes by Traffic Control Type)
Our goal in writing this blog is to help you make driving safer. Each year, our auto accident attorneys assemble a list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections based on the number of car crashes that have occurred at these interchanges. We could not be doing this without the help of the Michigan State Police, and our attorneys would like to thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit for helping us to provide car accident report data that we use to identify Michigan’s most dangerous intersections. The underlying car accident report data analysis is compiled using traffic accident reports filed by local law enforcement and police departments throughout Michigan.
What Were Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2019?
- 18 1/2 MILE RD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 229 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- SCHOOLCRAFT RD @ TELEGRAPH RD, Redford Twp, 210 Total Crashes, 41 Injuries
- ORCHARD LAKE RD @ 14 MILE RD, Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield, 178 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
- M 5/MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRAIL, Commerce Twp, 161 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- STATE RD @ W ELLSWORTH RD, Pittsfield Twp/Ann Arbor, 154 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- 11 MILE RD/I 696 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Center Line, 129 Total Crashes, 31 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ 12 MILE RD, Southfield, 128 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- US 131 @ WEALTHY ST, Grand Rapids, 123 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- I 75 @ BIG BEAVER RD, Troy, 113 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- FORD RD @ HAGGERTY RD, Canton Twp, 101 Total Crashes, 35 Injuries
- HALL RD @ SCHOENHERR RD, Shelby Twp, 96 Total Crashes, 16 Injuries
- 23 MILE RD @ I 94, Chesterfield Twp, 94 Total Crashes, 24 Injuries
- 11 MILE RD @ GRATIOT AVE E, Roseville, 94 Total Crashes, 23 Injuries
- SOUTHFIELD RD @ W 11 MILE RD, Lathrup Village, 93 Total Crashes, 31 Injuries
- FORD RD @ MERCURY DR, Dearborn, 91 Total Crashes, 30 Injuries
- HALL RD @ ROMEO PLANK RD, Clinton Twp, 86 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
- FORD RD @ LILLEY RD, Canton Twp, 80 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
- DIXIE HWY @ I 75, Springfield Twp, 79 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- DIX AVE @ M 39, Lincoln Park, 78 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ SQUARE LAKE RD, Bloomfield Twp, 78 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers include any reported crash that occurred within 250 feet of an intersection, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
Overall, the state saw a slight decrease in injuries from car crashes when comparing a full year of 2019 traffic accident reports to 2018. Unfortunately, the total number of car accidents and the number of fatalities were higher in 2019 than they were in 2018.
As our auto attorneys analyze the data every year on intersection car accidents, several contributing factors appear. The most obvious is that more heavily traveled roads have more total collisions. Highly-populated areas also have more cars and therefore more traffic accidents as well. Other factors are not as obvious. Freeway on/off ramps remain top causal contributors for a high number of car crashes as many on/off ramps have older “cloverleaf” designs that are less safe than newer ramps. Finally, while a traffic accident does not always mean someone was injured, it does raise the likelihood of an injury occurring
More Information on Top 5 of Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections
No. 1 Most Dangerous Intersection: 18 ½ Mile Road and Van Dyke Ave, Sterling Heights
This busy roundabout not only took over the top spot on the list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections for car accidents, but it also saw a 62% increase in car crashes, going from 141 in 2018 to 229 in 2019. This is surprising considering this intersection has been a roundabout for well over ten years and local drivers are familiar with it. Hopefully this busy area near a large manufacturing plant will see improvements in 2020.
To see a map of all existing and proposed roundabouts in the state visit the Michigan Roundabout Resource Center.
No. 2 Schoolcraft Road and Telegraph – Redford Twp/Detroit
The busy area where Telegraph Road passes over Schoolcraft Road and the I 96 freeway also had a significant increase in car crashes from 2018 to 2019. When all intersection car accidents are added up from where east and westbound Schoolcraft traffic intersects with north and southbound service road traffic off of Telegraph, there was a staggering 68% increase from 125 car crashes in 2018 to 210 in 2019. Even more concerning is the 42 reported injuries that occurred there in 2019 – the highest number of reported injuries at any intersection in the entire state. Use caution in this busy area with multiple traffic signals and merging traffic.
No. 3 Orchard Lake and 14 Mile Roads – Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield
This congested roundabout saw a surprising 24% increase in car crashes in 2019 compared to 2018. The amount of reported injuries also remained higher than most other roundabouts with 22 in 2019. The area continues to see heavy traffic volume and with the closure of the Maple and Middlebelt road in 2019, more vehicles than usual detouring through here likely caused the rise in intersection car accidents.
No. 4 M 5/Martin Pkwy and Pontiac Trail – Commerce Township
Once again, a busy roundabout makes the top ten list of Michigan’s most dangerous intersections for 2019. This one – Oakland County’s largest – sees very heavy traffic volumes every year. There was a surprising increase in car crashes from 161 in 2019 compared to 138 in 2018. But as has been the case for the past few years, there were only 12 reported injuries in 2019 which once again speaks to the safety improvements seen from converting a traditional intersection into a roundabout.
No. 5 State Street and Ellsworth – Pittsfield Twp/Ann Arbor
This busy roundabout on the border of Ann Arbor and Pittsfield Township rounds out the top five intersections in the state for car crashes last year. While this intersection has had decreasing numbers in past years, the last two years have seen increases back up to 154 auto accidents in 2019 compared to 123 in 2018. Thankfully, the reported injuries remain lower, bolstering the claim that roundabout designs lower the likelihood of a serious personal injury or fatality occurring due to the designs of roundabouts compared to traditional intersections.
Noteworthy dangerous intersection for Michigan drivers
Another dangerous intersection in Michigan that continues to have a high volume of car accidents is the Ford Road corridor in Canton. As this blog series has highlighted in the past, factors contributing to the very high volume of traffic along Ford Road between Beck Road and Lotz Road include: (1) the ever-growing commercial activity; (2) the presence of the state’s only IKEA store; (3) and the I 275 freeway access. Of particular concern is the Ford and Haggerty Road intersection that had a fairly steady annual total of about 80 traffic accidents in 2015 through 2018. But in 2019, that total went up to 101 traffic accidents with 35 injuries – another concern as the injury rate has increased as well. The city does have plans in the works to build a thin median along Ford Road and create alternate routes for drivers. Until that comes to fruition please use caution in this busy area.
Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections Car Crash Data for other cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on the Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersection lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county. To read blog posts specific to Michigan counties and cities click here.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident in Michigan, contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.
Need help after a car accident at one of Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections? Call Michigan Auto Law first
If you have been injured in a car accident at one on Michigan’s most dangerous intersections – or anywhere else in the state – you can call toll free anytime 24/7 at (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. There is absolutely no cost or obligation. You can also get help from an experienced attorney by emailing [email protected] or you can use the chat feature on our website.