Our attorneys share the 10 most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County based on 2018 car accident data so local drivers can use extra caution when traveling through these areas.
This annual list of the most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County is provided by our attorneys to help keep Michigan drivers safe.
Intersections are dangerous. But these Ingham County intersections are even more dangerous.
Over 30% of all fatal crashes occurred at intersections, according to Michigan Traffic Crash Facts (“2017 Quick Facts”).
Our list of the most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County is the latest crash data available from 2018 on the top 10 intersections with the highest number of reported car accidents. Our attorneys would like to sincerely thank the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit, which compiled the raw data from thousands of motor vehicle accident reports submitted by local police and law enforcement throughout Michigan.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Lansing and Ingham County in 2018
- GRAND RIVER AVE @ HAGADORN ROAD, East Lansing, 72 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- GRAND RIVER AVE @ HOWARD ST, Lansing Township, 54 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- COOLIDGE ROAD @ LAKE LANSING ROAD, East Lansing, 52 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- SAGINAW ST @ HOMER ST, Lansing Township, 52 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR BLVD @ HOLMES ROAD, Lansing, 47 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR BLVD @ MAIN ST, Lansing, 46 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- GRAND RIVER AVE @ CLIPPERT ST, Lansing, 45 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- GRAND RIVER AVE @ US 127, Lansing Township, 45 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- ABBOT ROAD @ SAGINAW ST, East Lansing, 42 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR BLVD @ SAINT JOSEPH ST, Lansing, 42 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit
*Data includes any car accident (including fender benders, injury car accidents and fatal car accidents) that occurred within 250 feet of the intersection, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways. “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout.
No. 1 Dangerous Intersection: Grand River Ave and Hagadorn Road, East Lansing
This busy intersection that tops the list of the most dangerous intersections in Lansing and Ingham County is located at the northeast corner of the MSU campus. It saw a sharp increase in car accidents in 2018, going from 62 to 72 car crashes in one year. Heavy pedestrian and bicycle traffic in this area may be a factor as we see higher rates of distracted driving each year. Use caution in the area.
No. 2 Dangerous Intersection: Grand River Ave and Howard Street, Lansing Township
The second highest number of Ingham County crashes occurred at this busy Lansing Township corner where high speed traffic is coming off US 127. While there was a slight increase of car accidents from 2017 to 2018, the number of injuries decreased from 24 to 18.
Dangerous Intersection Data for other Michigan cities and counties
As we see from years of data analysis on Michigan car accidents, intersections with heavy traffic near freeways or retail businesses continually show up on these high crash lists.
Visit our Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county. If you or someone you know has been injured in a Michigan car accident contact us to learn about your legal rights. We also have six free books covering everything from Car Insurance to Repairing Car Damage. Visit this page to get your free book now.