To find the most qualified accident attorney for you, get the answers to these crucial questions
Last week, I shared my 9-point Best lawyer test for choosing the right car accident lawyer for you. The point of my post is that most people will spend time doing research before buying a new car, a new TV, or even a new toaster oven, but do no research at all about the qualifications, legal experience and credentials of an attorney to properly represent you after your car accident.
This week, I’d like to provide you with a list of questions to help you find the best car accident attorney if you should ever need help for you and your family. You don’t need to ask all 18 questions, but read the reviews and testimonials of real clients and real people to see how your lawyer measures up. Other questions, such as a lawyer’s trial verdicts and injury settlements in similar car accident cases to yours are compiled by legal newspapers and jury verdict reporters and should be easily made available (watch out if they’re not – the insurance company on the other side already has this information, so shouldn’t you?).
Importantly, you’ll want to know how a prospective attorney compares with other lawyers.
To see how our experienced, dedicated car accident attorneys stack up, please check out The Michigan Auto Law Difference.
Below are some of the questions you need to ask or you should consider researching online before hiring the best injury lawyer to help you after a motor vehicle accident:
1. Do you only handle car accident and truck accident cases?
2. Do you have proven jury trial success in Michigan and throughout the country?
3. Do you have record-breaking verdicts and settlements, as reported by legal and business publications?
4. Are you rated and endorsed by independent, third-party attorney rating services?
5. Do you speak to other attorneys as a subject matter expert at legal seminars in Michigan and throughout the U.S.?
6. Do attorneys in your firm hold legal and professional leadership positions?
7. How many years of legal experience do you have?
8. Do you set evening and weekend appointments?
9. Will you be available via phone or e-mail when I have questions?
10. Do you return phone calls?
11. How often will you update me about my case?
12. How will you prepare me for legal meetings and court appearances?
13. Do you make house and hospital visits?
14. Do you advance litigation costs for clients?
15. Do you ever charge a fee is there is no legal recovery for my potential case?
16. Do you use a contingency fee system and, if not, how do you charge for your legal services?
17. Do you have real client testimonials and will you allow me access and the opportunity to call some of your past clients with my own questions?
18. Are your attorneys regularly quoted in legal and mainstream media?
Next week, I’ll share tips you can use when doing your own independent research on your attorney.
For more information now, you can order our free guide: “How to Choose the Right Lawyer: Breaking through the sea of legal advertising to find the best answers,” or visit our special Michigan Auto Law website section on Finding a Lawyer.