Today our attorneys are sharing two lists of dangerous Kent County intersections: One for the most fender benders and another for the most injuries and deaths.
The first list below is for total motor vehicle accidents in 2014 in Kent County. Once again, we’re sharing these dangerous intersections for West Michigan residents who travel within Kent County. This data was provided to us by the Traffic Crash Reporting Unit of the Michigan State Police.
The second list goes beyond fender benders, which account for most reported traffic accidents and police reports. This list covers only those traffic accidents involving a reported personal injury and/or fatality at the scene. These are more serious crashes, where the forces of impact caused a reported injury, or where someone was killed and a fatality investigation was performed by police.
Top 10 Kent County intersections for car crashes involving vehicle damage
- 44th Street Southwest and Byron Center Avenue Southwest, Wyoming, 77 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and Kalamazoo Avenue Southeast, Grand Rapids, 57 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and Eastern Ave Southeast, Grand Rapids, 57 car accidents
- 44th Street Southeast and Kalamazoo Avenue Southeast, Grand Rapids, 54 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and Broadmoor Avenue Southeast, Grand Rapids, 52 car accidents
- East Beltline Avenue Southeast and Lake Eastbrook Boulevard, Grand Rapids, 50 car accidents
- 52nd Street Southeast and Eastern Avenue Southeast, Kentwood, 49 car accidents
- 44th Street Southeast and Breton Road Southeast, Grand Rapids, 48 car accidents
- 4 Mile Road Northwest and Alpine Avenue Northwest, Alpine Township, 48 car accidents
- Lake Michigan Drive Northwest and Wilson Avenue Northwest, Walker, 47 car accidents
Top 10 Kent County intersections for car crashes involving only injuries and fatalities
- 28th Street Southeast and Eastern Avenue Southeast, Grand Rapids, 17 car accidents
- 52nd Street Southeast and Eastern Avenue Southeast, Kentwood, 15 car accidents
- 44th Street Southwest and Byron Center Avenue Southwest, Wyoming, 14 car accidents
- 44th Street Southeast and Eastern Avenue Southeast, Grand Rapids, 13 car accidents
- 54th Street Southwest and Kellogg Woods Drive Southeast, Wyoming, 13 car accidents
- 28th Street Southwest and Burlingame Avenue Southwest, Wyoming, 12 car accidents
- Lake Michigan Drive Northwest and Wilson Avenue Northwest, Walker, 11 car accidents
- 36th Street Southeast and South Division Avenue Southwest, Wyoming, 11 car accidents
- East Beltline Avenue Southeast and Lake Eastbrook Boulevard, Grand Rapids, 11 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and Breton Road Southeast, Grand Rapids, 10 car accidents
– Source: Michigan State Police – Traffic Crash Reporting Unit
Breaking down the Kent County car accident hot spots
The Wyoming intersection of 44th Street Southwest and Byron Center Avenue Southwest has again made the top spot for overall crashes with 77 last year — a whopping 50% increase over 2013. This intersection was also No. 6 on the list for total car crashes in the entire state of Michigan in 2014.
Michigan Auto Law attorney Brandon Hewitt lives and works near many of these intersections. Brandon is from Grand Rapids and lives in Kent County with his wife and son. He works at our law firm’s Grand Rapids office.
Brandon says 44th and Byron Center is a very busy intersection in which the speed limit is 45 mph in both directions. The light is also problematic, as the left turn lanes go first on a green arrow then have a blinking red after. So it’s likely there are a lot of people who try to complete a left turn in front of oncoming traffic.
One spot of good news is that this Wyoming intersection fell to the No. 3 spot in 2014 for injury/fatality only accidents with 14 total.
Brandon also says 28th and Eastern is the busiest street in Grand Rapids, so it’s going to have a lot of car accidents. There’s nothing about this intersection that stands out other than it’s just a basic light, with no special signals for left-turning traffic. Most of these accidents are likely rear-end crashes because left-turning traffic just has to sit in front of through traffic waiting to turn.
The running theme when reviewing this data over the past several years is that both 44th and 28th Streets appear frequently on these lists. Remember, they are West Michigan’s busiest and most congested roads. Please exercise caution on these busy streets.
Do you drive through these dangerous intersections during your daily commute? Our attorneys would love to hear your feedback. Feel free to make a comment below or on our Michigan Auto Law Facebook page.
For more local tips on this area including how to obtain a copy of a police report, visit our Grand Rapids Local Resources page. You also may visit our Michigan Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county, and our list of Michigan’s 2016 Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections.