Drivers beware! The list of 20 intersections below have the highest amount of car accidents in Southeast Michigan.
Each year, SEMCOG (Southeast Michigan Council of Governments) provides this helpful data on high-frequency crash locations for cities within seven counties in Southeast Michigan. Our injury lawyers wanted to share this recent list of the worst intersections in Southeast Michigan to help protect you on the roads.
Avoid the following, if possible:
- Ford Road at Haggerty Road, Canton, 75 car accidents.
- Southfield Road at 11 Mile Road West, Southfield, 67 car accidents.
- 15 Mile Road at Ryan Road, Sterling Heights, 61 car accidents.
- Maple Road West at Orchard Lake Road, West Bloomfield, 60 car accidents.
- 12 Mile Road West at Orchard Lake Road, Farmington Hills, 59 car accidents.
- 12 Mile Road at Dequindre Road, Warren, 59 car accidents.
- 12 Mile Road West at Telegraph Road, Southfield, 58 car accidents.
- 23 Mile Road at Schoenherr Road, Shelby Township, 57 car accidents.
- Van Dyke Avenue at 11 Mile Road East, Warren, 55 car accidents.
- Haggerty Highway at Pontiac Trail, West Bloomfield, 52 car accidents.
- 14 Mile Road at Ryan Road, Sterling Heights, 51 car accidents.
- Highland Road at Airport Road, Waterford, 47 car accidents.
- Ford Road at Newburgh Road North, Westland, 47 car accidents.
- Southfield Road at 10 Mile Road West, Southfield, 47 car accidents.
- Garfield Road at 19 Mile Road, Clinton Township, 46 car accidents.
- Garfield Road at Canal Road, Clinton Township, 45 car accidents.
- Groesbeck Highway at 15 Mile Road, Clinton Township, 45 car accidents.
- Cass Avenue at Groesbeck Highway North, Clinton Township, 45 car accidents.
- Ford Road at Wayne Road North, Westland, 42 car accidents.
- 12 Mile Road West at Southfield Road, Southfield, 37 car accidents.
Once again, the Canton intersection of Ford Road and Haggerty holds the No. 1 spot for both the five year average as well as 2012. This area has been top on the list for several years, as Canton Township officials are hoping to secure federal dollars to alter Ford Road.
At a close second is the area of 11 Mile and Southfield Road, which also shows up near the top of the list each year.
And when comparing which cities have the most high crash intersections, there is a tie with both Southfield and Clinton Township having four of the top 20 areas on the list.
To access additional information or pull data for another county or city visit SEMCOG (Southeast Michigan Council of Governments).
Are you surprised by this list? Do you have an intersection you drive through in southeast Michigan that you feel is dangerous and isn’t included on the list? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below or on our Facebook page. You also may visit our Michigan Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county, and our list of Michigan’s 2016 Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections.
Need more local information on another city? The Local Resources Guide for Michigan Car Accidents provides access to information for every major city and most metro Detroit suburbs in Michigan.