Southfield Road and 11 Mile Road West in Southfield is the most dangerous intersection,with 81 car accidents in 2013
What are the most dangerous intersections for drivers in Oakland County, Michigan? Today I’m sharing my top 10 worst intersections, based mostly on data and motor vehicle crash statistics from the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG). Keep these intersections in mind, and consider taking an alternative route.
- Southfield Road and 11 Mile Road West, Southfield, 81 car accidents
- 12 Mile Road West and Orchard Lake Road, Farmington hills, 71 car accidents
- Commerce Road and Union Lake Road, Commerce Township, 59 car accidents
- Maple Road West and Orchard Lake Road, West Bloomfield, 58 car accidents
- Highland Road and Airport Road, Waterford, 56 car accidents
- 12 Mile Road West and Telegraph Road, Southfield, 55 car accidents
- North M5 and Pontiac Trail North, Commerce Township, 55 car accidents
- Rochester Road and Tienken Road West, Rochester, 53 car accidents
- Avon Road West and Rochester Road South, Rochester Hills, 52 car accidents
- 13 Mile Road and Dequindre Road, Madison Heights, 51 car accidents
(Source: Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) – High Frequency Crash Locations Data)
The Michigan State Police and all local law enforcement agencies in Michigan use the State of Michigan UD-10 report form. The list of motor vehicle accidents above was compiled based upon completed UD-10 police reports for each reported crash. If you’re interested in learning more about a particular intersection, you can see the SEMCOG website list for Oakland County here and click on an individual intersection name to view detailed crash information for that area. Please note the list on the SEMCOG website is sorted high to low by a five year average.
Back at the No. 1 position this year is the Southfield intersection of 11 Mile and Southfield Roads. As a high traffic area along the I-696 corridor, this intersection has seen a steady rise in motor vehicle accidents since 2010. Although this clearly has been the most dangerous intersection, the bright spot (if you want to try to look for one here) is the number of automobile accidents is dropping. This intersection reported more than 100 crashes annually during 2005, 2006 and 2007.
The No. 2 spot goes to a well-known, high volume intersection in Farmington Hills at 12 Mile and Orchard Lake Roads. As a popular exit off another major metro Detroit freeway, this area has also seen a steady increase in motor vehicle crashes since 2010.
No. 3 on the list is an area that just this past year saw a 34% increase in the number of motor vehicle accidents compared to 2012 data. Commerce and Union Lake Roads in Commerce Township has always had heavy traffic volumes as one of the few options drivers have to get from the busy Lakes area to major freeways. One reason for this increase may be the change in 2012 to a left arrow turn signal coming before a green light for traffic instead of after.
Please note that the above list does not reflect traffic volume data and therefore does not allow for the computation of number of car accidents per number of vehicles entering an intersection.
What do you think, is there an intersection missing from the list that you feel should be on the list of most dangerous?