Drive carefully at Ellsworth Road West and State Road South – a new roundabout with 62 car accidents reported in 2013
Today we’re discussing the top 10 worst intersections in Ann Arbor. I’m defining “worst” as most dangerous by number of reported car accidents that occurred in 2013.
Our list comes from the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG). Take caution around the following intersections, and try to avoid them entirely if possible:
- Ellsworth Road West and State Road South, 62 car accidents
- Jackson Avenue and Maple Road South, 33 car accidents
- Washtenaw Avenue and Huron Parkway South, 28 car accidents
- State Street South and Hilton Boulevard, 27 car accidents
- Packard Street and Platt Road, 27 car accidents
- Ann Arbor Saline Road and Eisenhower Parkway West, 27 car accidents
- Stadium Boulevard East and Washtenaw AVenue, 24 car accidents
- Plymouth Road and Huron Parkway South, 22 accidents
- Main Street South and Stadium Boulevard East, 21 car accidents
- Washtenaw Avenue and Pittsfield Boulevard, 21 car accidents
One reason for so many car accidents at our No. 1 worst intersection at Ellsworth Road West and State Road South can be chalked up to a new traffic circle roundabout. I called the Ann Arbor Police Department, and they indicated they felt the new roundabout was also the main culprit. Note that this area is a joint jurisdiction with Pittsfield Township.
There’s definitely a learning curve with new traffic roundabouts. I’ve written about roundabout safety issues and whether they cause or contribute to more crashes and fender benders in this legal blog before. While the debate on whether they’re safer than traditional four-way stops continues, the studies do seem to show roundabouts are safer and aid traffic flow. Here’s a past post on how to drive safely through a roundabout.
For our Ann Arbor readers, is there a terrible intersection you would like to see on the list? Join the conversation by making a comment below or on our Michigan Auto Law Facebook page.
Here’s our Michigan Auto Law Ann Arbor law office.