Watch out for 44th Street SE and Eastern Avenue SE, with 53 car accidents in 2013
44th St. SE and Eastern Ave. SE is the most dangerous intersection in Grand Rapids.
Grand Rapids has a lot going on. Currently, there’s ongoing construction on the busiest road in the city — 28th Street. And Grand Rapids just voted to do something about potholes, instead of just talking about it like most of the rest of the state (and our state politicians, who are now enjoying their summer vacations after punting on the pothole problem).
But Grand Rapids still has many dangerous traffic spots with a high number of car accidents. Today I’m including my top 10 most dangerous intersections in Grand Rapids. Hopefully this will help protect West Michigan drivers who can avoid or take more care in these areas. I define “dangerous” by the number of car accidents that have occurred at these intersections in 2013.
The total number of crashes comes from the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting System, and is based upon the most recent crash statistics for 2013. It also comes from my own experiences, and those of the other attorneys in my law office. Our Grand Rapids law office is now our second busiest in the entire state, and our attorneys have personally helped people who were hurt in crashes in many of the intersections I list below:
- 44th Street Southeast and Eastern Avenue Southeast, 53 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and Broadmoor Avenue Southeast, 52 car accidents
- East Beltline Avenue Southeast and Lake Eastbrook Bouldevard Southeast, 52 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and Breton Road Southeast, 51 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and Eastern Avenue Southeast, 48 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and South Division Avenue, 45 car accidents
- 44th Street Southeast and Breton Road Southeast, 44 car accidents
- Fuller Avenue Northeast and Michigan Street Northeast, 42 car accidents
- Fuller Avenue Northeast and Leonard Street Northeast, 41 car accidents
- 28th Street Southeast and Kalamazoo Avenue Southeast, 38 car accidents
As far as the No. 1 most dangerous intersection at 44th Street SE and Eastern Avenue SE, there’s nothing special about the area other than it is BIG. It has two to three lanes in each direction on 44th, separated by a grassy median. There’s no left turn, so traffic has to make a “Michigan turn.” The intersection does see a lot of morning and evening traffic. Steelcase headquarters are located at that corner.
The second worst intersection: Broadmoor is really the East Beltline. It is two lanes in each direction with a turn lane and very busy. And 28th Street is the busiest road in Grand Rapids, so these two roads coming together is going to create problems.
Hence, accident problems at most of the dangerous intersections on my list (Numbers 4-6 and 10), involve 28th Street.
For our Grand Rapids residents, is there a treacherous intersection you would like to see added? Join the conversation by commenting below or on our Michigan Auto Law Facebook page.
If you’d like more information, please note that Michigan Auto Law has a full-time Grand Rapids law office, to help better serve all of our clients from West Michigan. Here’s the contact info:
Michigan Auto Law
146 Monroe Center St NW #1330
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Phone: (616) 447-8847
(Note: these numbers for 2013 may not yet include all data from all townships and all policing agencies as of publication.)