Watch out for Orchard Lake and 12 Mile Road in Farmington Hills – a whopping 81 accidents
What are the most dangerous intersections in Oakland County?
By most “dangerous,” I’m using the total number of car crashes in 2013. Some, such as 12 Mile Road and Orchard Lake, are no surprise. But some may surprise you. Take a look, and then try to take an alternate route if you’re able to avoid these dangerous intersections.
- Orchard Lake Road and 12 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, 81 car accidents
- Southfield Road and West 11 Mile Road, Lathrup Village, 79 car accidents
- Commerce Road and Union Lake Road, Commerce Township, 75 car accidents
- Orchard Lake Road and West Maple Road, West Bloomfield Township, 74 car accidents
- Airport Road and Highland Road, Waterford Township, 66 car accidents
- Martin Parkway and North Pontiac Trail, Commerce Township, 64 car accidents
- Telegraph Road and West 12 Mile Road, Southfield, 61 car accidents
- East Avon Road and South Rochester Road, Rochester Hills, 59 car accidents
- East Tienken Road and Rochester Road, Rochester Hills, 58 car accidents
- 12 Mile Road and Dequindre Road, Madison Heights, 58 car accidents
Causation or correlation – Why does Oakland County have so many car accidents?
As I wrote in 2012, there are a lot of car accidents occurring in in Oakland County. These numbers raise a question – are some of these intersections unusually dangerous, meaning are they defectively designed, and can they be made safer? Or are these numbers inflated because Oakland County is the second-highest populated county in Michigan?
And with lots of people comes lots of traffic and, well, lots of car accidents.
It’s an interesting question. As I said above, what all of these Oakland County intersections have in common is lots of traffic. But there are other things that can make an intersection prone to crashes besides high traffic volume. In fact, there are many areas that have similarly high numbers of traffic, but much lower numbers of car accidents.
Oakland County drivers have mentioned the problems with these intersections on social media:
- They don’t have proper lane markings.
- Too many businesses are too close to the intersections and make it difficult for cars to pull in or out of.
- They have short or long traffic lights that frustrate busy commuters and cause some people to take more dangerous risks.
We hope you can use caution and have greater patience in these dangerous areas. This will be a busy construction season in Michigan, making these high-car crash intersections even more susceptible to angry and inpatient drivers — not to mention all of the texting and other distracted drivers.
Are there problematic intersections on this list you drive through every day? Any missing from here that you feel are particularly dangerous? Let us know by making a comment below or on our Michigan Auto Law Facebook page.
The worst roads in Oakland County
The busy area of 12 Mile Road and Orchard Lake Road in Farmington Hills grabs the top spot in 2013, moving up from the No. 5 spot in 2012. Another common high car crash intersection is at 11 Mile and Southfield Road – this spot claims the No. 2 spot once again and has been consistently in the top five for the past five years. New this year at the number three spot is the congested Commerce Township area of Commerce and Union Lake Roads.
You can read the list of the 10 most dangerous Oakland County intersections for 2012 here.
My list comes from the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting System, and is based upon the most recent car accident statistics released for 2013.
(Note: these numbers for 2013 may not yet include all data from all townships and all policing agencies as of publication.)