Watch out for Cass Avenue and South Groesbeck Highway in Clinton Township, with a whopping 90 crashes
Here’s my top 10 most dangerous intersections in Macomb County. I define “dangerous” by the number of car accidents that have occurred at these intersections in 2013. If you can, try to avoid them. Hopefully we can all use a bit more care on these roads.
Here’s my Top 10 Worst intersections in Macomb County, Michigan:
- Cass Avenue and South Groesbeck Highway, Clinton Township, 90 car accidents
- 12 Mile Road and Dequindre Road, Warren, 58 car accidents
- East 11 Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue, Center Line, 56 car accidents
- 13 Mile Road and Dequindre Road, Warren, 55 car accidents
- 23 Mile Road and Schoenherr Road, Shelby Township, 54 car accidents
- 14 Mile Road and Ryan Road, Sterling Heights, 52 car accidents
- 15 Mile Road and Ryan Road, Sterling Heights, 51 car accidents
- 19 Mile Road and Hayes Road, Clinton Township, 51 car accidents
- 11 Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue, Warren, 50 car accidents
- 12 Mile Road and Ryan Road, Warren, 50 car accidents
My list of the worst intersections in Macomb County comes from the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting System, and is based upon the most recent crash statistics released for 2013.
As you can see, the worst intersection is Cass Avenue and South Groesbeck Highway in Clinton Township, with a whopping 90 car accidents. On South Groesbeck, there are a lot of people trying to get to work on time in the mornings, and speaking of mornings, we all know about the morning commute on I-696. If you hit the wrong pocket of time, a driver could be in the right hand lane to get onto the highway for close to eight minutes.
Drivers are also treating Groesbeck like a highway, and it’s causing a lot of dangerous crashes.
As far as Cass, there are two high schools and downtown Mt. Clemens with the court building that I visit so often. The two turnarounds in this area are rife with potential crashes. Drivers also treat Cass like a highway, as it turns into Romeo Plank, which goes into Hall Road, which is a destination for many businesses and restaurants.
As always, drive safe.
For our readers who live in Macomb County or are very familiar with the east side, do you agree with this list? Is there a dangerous street or intersection that you would like to see included? Let us know by making a comment below or on our Facebook page. You also may visit our Michigan Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county, and our list of Michigan’s 2016 Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections.
For more local resources, including how to obtain a police report, visit our web page on Sterling Heights local resources.
(Note: these numbers for 2013 may not yet include all data from all townships and all policing agencies as of this writing).