Why Auto-Owners makes our list of the top auto insurance companies
We’ve gotten a lot of great feedback so far from our free, downloadable book:
This is based upon our own attorney picks of the best auto insurance companies, and the worst auto insurance companies.
As an insurance lawyer for nearly 20 years, my goal is to give you the information you need to pick the right auto insurance company for you and your family. And as a lawyer who has had to sue nearly every insurance company in Michigan (and who sees how many of these companies really treat people after an accident), my goal is to also help you steer clear of the ones that I’ve personally found to not have your best interests in mind.
Today, I want to write about one of my picks for top insurance companies, Auto-Owners Insurance.
Here are six reasons why our attorneys picked Auto-Owners for 2013:
- Winner, J.D. Power and Associates U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study: For the past five years (2008-12), Auto-Owners Insurance Company has won this study, ranking “highest in providing a satisfying claims experience for auto insurance customers” and “Among the best.”
- Customer satisfaction is “Better than most”: For the past three years (2009-11), Auto-Owners has ranked “Better than most” in the J.D. Power and Associates U.S. National Auto Insurance Study for customer satisfaction with auto insurance companies.
- High satisfaction score for claims handling: In Consumer Reports Magazine’s 2010 Car Insurance Ratings survey, Auto-Owners received the fourth highest reader score rating for “overall satisfaction with claims handling.” Auto-Owners also received the highest rating of “Better” for timeliness of claims payments, as well as favorable ratings for its handling of issues, both relating to claims and other problems.
- Pays out highest percentage of premium dollars: Among Michigan’s largest auto insurers, Auto-Owners topped the list for paying out the highest percentage of its premium dollars in claims for its customers. For example, for every premium dollar Auto-Owners receives from Michigan drivers, it pays out approximately $.74 in auto accident claims.
- Reasonable prices: When compared with Michigan’s largest auto insurers, Auto-Owners’ prices were among the Top 5 least expensive in 15 of the 16 major markets.
- Fewest customer complaints: Auto-Owners received relatively few consumer complaints annually. It was also one of the least-complained-about insurers among Michigan’s largest auto insurance companies in four out of the last five years.
Do you have your own opinion of Auto Owners, either good or bad? Tell us and others what you think on our forum on the Best and Worst Auto Insurance Companies.