Plan ahead this New Year’s Eve if you’re going out or having a party
Each year around this time, our injury lawyers offer New Year’s Eve safety tips to help prevent drunk driving car accidents. This year, we have the pleasure of sharing a guest blog from Michigan MADD.
Each year, nearly 10,000 people are killed in drunk driving crashes. The risk of sharing the road with a drunk driver is even higher on holidays like New Year’s, because of parties and get-togethers. In fact, New Year’s Day is the most dangerous day of the year for drunk driving on our nation’s roadways.
Let’s work together to make this holiday, and every day, safe for everyone traveling.
Please use these 11 tips to plan a safe New Year’s celebration for everyone:
1. Designate a sober driver to make sure you — and everyone with you — arrive home safely this holiday season.
2. Reserve a cab prior to heading out.
3. Consider hiring a shuttle or limousine service to transport you and your friends to and from your event.
4. Arrange a hotel stay for you and your friends on the evening of the event so no one drives home impaired.
Planning a party?
5. Plan activities like party games or door prizes. Planned activities engage people, make for less active consumption of alcohol, and ensure that your friends remember the great event long after the last piece of confetti has settled.
6. Confirm that at least one person in each group is prepared to be the sober designated driver and/or has a plan to get home as guests RSVP.
7. Provide plenty of food to keep your guests from drinking on an empty stomach.
8. Avoid too many salty snacks, which tend to make people thirsty and drink more.
9. Offer non-alcoholic beverages or “mocktails” for designated drivers and others who prefer not to drink alcohol.
10. If preparing an alcoholic punch, use a non-carbonated base, like fruit juice. Alcohol is absorbed into the blood stream faster with a carbonated base.
11. Be prepared by having the number of a taxi service on hand for those who need a ride. Also, be ready with some clean linens so you can turn your sofa into a bed for guests who need to sleep it off.
Wishing you a safe and happy New Year’s!