Avoid these areas to prevent Oakland County car accidents, and be careful of those roundabouts!
The Traffic Improvement Association of Michigan has recently released a list of the top 10 worst intersections in Oakland County. That means these intersections had the most car accidents compared to any others in the area for 2011.
What’s interesting about this list is three of the worst intersections are roundabouts, which are supposed to reduce car accidents.
According to a story in The Oakland Press, Readers go in circles trying to solve roundabouts, roundabouts don’t eliminate car accidents, but there’s a different nature and severity of the crashes. TIA Executive Director Jim Santilli said, “Modern roundabouts have only eight conflict areas, where conventional four-way traffic intersections have 32 ways in which cars may collide — meaning the traffic circles greatly reduce the potential for crashes.”
Keep an eye out next week for my blog post on roundabout safety.
Here are the worst intersections in Oakland County:
- 12 Mile Road and Telegraph, Southfield, 91 car accidents
- 12 Mile Road and Dequindre, Warren/Madison Hgts, 80 car accidents
- Hamlin Road and Livernois, Rochester Hills (Roundabout), 68 car accidents
- Maple Road and Drake Road, West Bloomfield (Roundabout), 66 car accidents
- Farmington Road and Maple Road, West Bloomfield (Roundabout), 65 car accidents
- 11 Mile Road and Southfield Road, Southfield, 64 car accidents
- 12 Mile and Orchard Lake Road, Farmington Hills, 63 car accidents
- M-59 and Airport Road, Waterford, 63 car accidents
- Big Beaver Rd. and Crooks Rd, Troy, 61 car accidents
- Maple Road and Telegraph, Bloomfield Hills, 60 car accidents
Visit our Michigan Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes (including roundabouts) that can be searched by any Michigan city or county, and our list of Michigan’s 2016 Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections.
– Steven Gursten is a car accident lawyer and head of Michigan Auto Law. He president of the Motor Vehicle Trial Lawyers Association. Steve frequently writes and speaks on safe driving and Michigan auto laws, and is available for comment.
Michigan Auto Law exclusively handles car accident, truck accident and motorcycle accident cases throughout the entire state of Michigan. We have offices in Farmington Hills, Sterling Heights, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Detroit. Call (800) 777-0028 to speak with one of our car accident lawyers.