Michigan personal injury lawyer shares health and safety advice to keep you safe this season
Here is a great list of holiday health and safety tips from the CDC.
Some of these tips are basics we were taught as children. But a friendly reminder always helps, especially during the hustle and bustle of the holidays.
1. Travel safely: All of the basics apply here. Don’t drink and drive, don’t drive distracted, buckle up and keep your children properly secured in car seats or booster seats. Here are some safe winter driving tips. No one wants to be in a car accident over the holidays.
2. Wash your hands frequently: Clean hands are one of the most effective ways to prevent illness and the spread of germs. Health professionals recommend washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water.
3. Prevent personal injuries: More personal injuries occur around the holidays. Use step stools when decorating. Slow down. For children, keep potentially dangerous toys and choking hazards out of their reach. Here’s a blog about the top 10 most dangerous toys for 2011.
4. Beware of fires: Remember, most home fires occur during the winter. Keep candles away from children, pets and drapery. Don’t leave stoves, fireplaces or open flame unattended. Install a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.
5. Prepare meals safely: Watch your sleeves around the flame of the stove, and turn pot handles inward to avoid spilling and burns. Thaw out frozen meat in the refrigerator and watch cross contamination by keeping raw meat away from other foods and eating surfaces. Don’t leave perishable foods out for more than two hours.
6. Keep warm: Frigid temperatures can cause serious and even deadly health problems — especially in babies and the elderly. Keep dry and dress warmly in many lawyers of loose-fitting and tightly woven clothing.
7. Manage your stress: Balance is the key over the holidays – work, social life and home life. Also make sure you do not over-commit or spend too much on gifts. Try to get enough rest and keep positive.
8. Get check-ups and vaccinations: Come the new year, make sure you schedule and attend your annual physical and that your vaccinations are up to date. Doctor visits and screenings can find and prevent potential problems.
– Steven Gursten is one of the nation’s top personal injury lawyers handling auto accident lawsuits. He is head of Michigan Auto Law and has received the highest verdict in the state for a car accident or truck accident victim in 2008, 2009 and 2010, according to Michigan Lawyers Weekly. Steve frequently writes about child safety and is available for comment.
– Photo courtesy of Creative Commons, by SCA Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget
Related information to protect yourself:
Michigan Auto Law is the largest law firm exclusively handling car accident, truck accident and motorcycle accident cases throughout the entire state. We have offices in Farmington Hills, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Sterling Heights to better serve you. Call (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with one of our Michigan personal injury lawyers.