Personal Injury Attorney Highlights West Michigan Streets with the Most Auto Accidents
With the start of another winter, our Grand Rapids auto accident attorneys want to make west Michigan drivers aware of recent crash statistics from Kent County. West Michigan is always one of the first places in the state to get heavy snow, especially with the dramatic lake effect.
The Michigan State Police have published 2008 data for the state’s top 100 high-crash roads – and No. 5 on the list was Alpine Ave. between 4 Mile Road and Henze Drive. We’ve consolidated the list to identify the top 10 roads in west Michigan that were the scene of the most car accidents and truck accidents, based on the number of crashes reported to Kent County police.
You can also visit our Grand Rapids Attorney Auto Accident Resource Center for more crash statistics, insurance information and advice from Michigan Auto Law. Here’s the list:
1. Alpine Ave. NW between 4 MILE Road NW AND HENZE Dr. NW
Alpine Township, 54 crashes
2. 28th St. SE between Eastern Ave. SE and Brooklyn Ave. SE
Grand Rapids, 38 crashes
3. E Beltline Ave. NE between Bradford St. NE and Leonard St. NE
Grand Rapids, 37 crashes
4. Alpine Ave. NW between Center Dr. NW and Coventry Dr. NW
Walker, 37 crashes
5. 28th St. SE between Kalamazoo Ave. SE and Chamberlain Ave. SE
Grand Rapids, 36 crashes
6. 28th St. SE between Breton Road SE and Woodlawn Ave. SE
Grand Rapids, 35 crashes
7. 28th St. SE between Lake Eastbrook Blvd. SE and East Paris Ave. SE
Grand Rapids, 35 crashes
8. East Beltline Ave. SE between 28th St. SE and Mall Dr. SE
Grand Rapids, 34 crashes
9. Alpine Ave. NW between Coventry Dr. NW and Old Orchard Dr. NW
Walker, 33 crashes
10. Alpine Ave. NW between N Center Dr. NW and Kingsbury St. NW
Walker, 32 crashes
When reviewing the high-crash roads listed above, keep in mind the sheer volume of accidents doesn’t always tell the whole story. There are many risk factors that contribute to each crash. For example, a road can have a high number of accidents, yet they all could be vehicle damage with no personal injuries. Another road with less accidents might have severe injuries – another indicator of how dangerous the stretch truly is.
Highlights of Grand Rapids Crash Statistics
Michigan State Police data shows that 72 percent of the 316,057 crashes statewide in 2008 happened on road segments. The remainder, 88,809, occurred at intersections.
Our attorneys have compared 2008 traffic crash facts for Kent County to 2007, and we’re happy to report a decline in both fatal crashes (down 17 percent) and those producing injury (down 10 percent). The number of interstate and US route car accidents increased slightly, while state and local accidents slightly declined.
For more statewide statistics and traffic crashes by county, visit the 2008 Michigan Traffic Crash Facts web site.
How to Protect Yourself
Now that you’re aware of the dangerous roads throughout Grand Rapids and Kent County, it’s important to exercise more caution than usual when driving around these areas. Stay alert, follow traffic signals and maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front. And please exercise extreme caution while driving on Alpine Avenue – the No. 5 road in Michigan with the most accidents.
With so many auto accidents happening in and around Grand Rapids and with Michigan’s notorious no-fault law stipulations and time limits to file lawsuits, it’s wise to follow keep this accident scene checklist on hand. Actions you should take in case of an accident include staying calm and assisting injured passengers, documenting ALL injuries, and writing down as much detailed information as possible, such as license plates, location, weather factors and witnesses.
Our personal injury attorneys help many people who have been seriously injured in the Grand Rapids area, and Michigan Auto Law has a convenient Grand Rapids office on Lyon Street NW in downtown Grand Rapids to better serve you. Call (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with an attorney. There is absolutely no fee or obligation.
You also may visit our Michigan Dangerous Intersections page for a complete list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county, and our list of Michigan’s 2016 Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections.
– Steven M. Gursten is recognized as one of the nation’s top experts in serious car and truck accident injury cases and automobile insurance no-fault litigation. Steve has received the largest jury verdict for an automobile accident case in Michigan in four of the past seven years, including 2008, according to a published, year-end verdicts and settlements report.
– Photo courtesy of Creative Commons, by fortes