Detroit is a dangerous place to drive. Based upon a national survey of automobile crash deaths, Detroit, Michigan ranked as the 9th deadliest city in America according to a NHTSA report of fatal car accidents from around the country.
Our auto accident lawyers help many people who have been seriously injured in the Detroit metro area, and Michigan Auto Law opened a law office on Woodbridge Street, in downtown Detroit several years ago to better service our clients.
Last year, I wrote about Detroit’s top five worst intersections. Today I’m updating that information with five more intersections with much higher car accident numbers, based upon SEMCOG’s newest 2008 statistics.
Here are Detroit’s 10 most dangerous intersections:
1. 7 Mile Road East and Van Dyke Street, 38 car crashes
2. Davison Street West and Linwood Street, 34 car accidents
3. 7 Mile Road East and Gratiot Avenue, 34 car crashes
4. Davison Street West and Dexter Avenue, 31 car accidents
5. Conner Street and Gratiot Avenue, 25 car crashes
6. Greenfield Road and Warren Avenue West, 24 car accidents
7. Livernois Avenue and McNichols Road West, 22 car crashes
8. Evergreen Road and Plymouth Road, 19 car accidents
9. Conant Street and Davison Street East, 19 car crashes
10. Greenfield Road and Plymouth Road, 19 car accidents
Highlights of Detroit Crash Statistics
SEMCOG recently published 2008 data for Detroit intersections with the most car crashes. This new information shows that for the first time, the intersection of 7 Mile and Van Dyke took the No. 1 spot.
Yet danger also lies within the No. 2 intersection of W. Davison and Linwood, which held the top spot in 2007. For the past five years, Davison and Linwood was the scene of the highest overall number of auto accidents. It had over 30 more crashes than 7 Mile Road East and Van Dyke Ave.
Keep in mind, the sheer volume of crashes doesn’t always tell the whole story. There are many risk factors that contribute to each intersection in the city. For example, an intersection can have a high number of crashes, yet the severity of personal injuries is another indicator of how dangerous that intersection can be. The lawyers of Michigan Auto Law evaluated crash details of each of these intersections and found that while Davison and Linwood had the most crashes over the last five years (232), none of them were fatal, and 84 percent resulted in property damage only. However, the intersection of 7 Mile Road and Gratiot had two fatalities and 40 injuries, which accounted for 24 percent of all Detroit car accidents in the last five years.
For further details about these high-crash intersections, visit SEMCOG, which covers all Southeast Michigan communities.
How to Protect Yourself
With so many auto accidents happening in and around Detroit and with Michigan’s notorious no-fault law stipulations and time limits to file accident cases, it’s wise to print this accident scene checklist in case you find yourself or a loved one in a car accident situation.
You can find out more on auto accident resources, legal advice and local insurance companies by visiting the Detroit Lawyer Auto Accident Help Center. If you’ve been involved in a car accident or truck accident, please call our expert car accident lawyers at (800) 777-0028 to protect your rights and for help navigating through complicated no-fault insurance plans. There is absolutely no fee or obligation.
Meanwhile, if you would like to point out an additional intersection in the Detroit that’s unsafe, please give the lawyers of Michigan Auto Law feedback by posting a comment below.
– Steven M. Gursten is recognized as one of the nation’s top attorneys handling serious car and truck accident injury cases and automobile insurance no-fault litigation. Steve has received the largest jury verdict for an automobile accident case in Michigan in four of the past seven years, including 2008, according to Michigan Lawyers Weekly.
– Photo courtesy of Creative Commons, by ryoe.org
Michigan Auto Law is the largest law firm exclusively handling car accident, truck accident and motorcycle accident cases throughout the entire state. We have offices in Southfield, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Sterling Heights. Please watch our client testimonials.