Resources from our Michigan auto insurance lawyers to help you fully protect yourself and your family in the event of a car accident
We’ve given you the list of the worst insurance companies. Now that you have this information, you can better protect yourself and your family. Our auto insurance lawyers realize that choosing an insurance policy can be daunting. Here’s our list of the Top 4 Best Auto Insurance Companies in Michigan for 2011.
Meanwhile, we hope the following tips can help you choose the best auto insurance company for you.
1. Visit the department of insurance website.
The State of Michigan has a department of insurance called the Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth (DELEG). There, you will find “consumer complaint ratios” for all of the insurance companies that sell policies in Michigan. This ratio tells you how many complaints an insurance company received per 1,000 claims filed. Some of these will absolutely shock you, and give you a good flavor for how an insurance company you may be considering chooses to handle auto accident claims.
2. Find out which insurers repair shops recommend.
One of the best ways to identify dependable auto insurers is to contact local collision repair shops that you trust, and ask for their recommendations. Shop managers have a unique perspective to offer, since they regularly interact with insurance claims adjusters. They know which insurance companies have the smoothest claim processes for routine Mini Tort claims and which companies are looking for shortcuts to cut costs at the expense of their own customers.
3. Consider working with an independent insurance agent.
Independent agents represent several insurance companies and therefore, do not have a vested interest in selling you a policy from one particular company. They can become familiar with your situation and guide you toward a suitable policy. Our auto insurance lawyers do not vouch for any particular one of these independent agents, but findmichiganinsurance.org is a great resource to search for independent insurance agents.
4. Do your research.
With so many people sharing reviews and testimonials both in social circles and on the Internet, you can get opinions from real people who have experienced insurance company claims first hand. Pay particular attention to those who have had personal injury claims from car accidents and truck accidents.
Online insurance resources for Michigan drivers
Our auto insurance lawyers have compiled this list of online resources to assist Michigan drivers with evaluating their No-Fault insurance:
1. The Michigan government’s website has a valuable “What to watch for” guide for buying insurance.
2. The State of Michigan’s Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth also has a great website with information on purchasing auto insurance.
3. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ Consumer Information Source (CIS) provides information about insurance companies that you can use before purchasing insurance, including key information about closed insurance complaints, licensing information and financial data.
If you have questions about your No-Fault insurance policy, feel free to call (800) 777-0028 to speak with one of our insurance lawyers, at no cost or obligation. We always tell our clients and loved ones that it’s better to spend a few minutes quelling your concerns before making a purchase, than to find out the hard way that your insurance company does not have your best interest in mind following a car accident.
- Steven M. Gursten is head of Michigan Auto Law. He is one of the nation’s top lawyers handling serious car and truck accident injury cases and No-Fault litigation. Michigan Auto Law has received the highest jury verdict for a car accident or truck accident in seven of the last 10 years.
Additional resources to protect yourself:
Michigan Auto Law is the largest law firm exclusively handling car accident, truck accident, motorcycle accident and No-Fault insurance lawsuits throughout the entire state. We have offices in Farmington Hills, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Sterling Heights to better serve you. Call (800) 777-0028 for a free consultation with an auto insurance lawyer. We’re here to help you.